Help Please

clubnewyou
on 7/26/12 8:27 am - TN

Had my two week check up yesterday found out i lost 25punds which was good to here, however I have some questions ......How do you keep drinking when that bubbly feeling comes in your chest I find myself sooooo thirsty and for the first time ever I really want to drink my water.  When is the best time to drink my water before or am I waiting a hour after my meals to drink? P.S. Does Ice count towards my water intake? for some reason ice doesnt hurt going down.

moonglo82
on 7/26/12 8:34 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Hey there You need to be drinking pretty much all day. At your stage,you won't get enough fluid in otherwise (or at least it's not very likely).

What are you eating at two weeks out? At that point I was still on full liquids, and therefore I didn't have to wait until an hour after a meal to drink. But basically, even once I got to solids, if I was not within my timeframe for food, I was making a full time job of sipping.

The bubbly feeling probably means you're drinking too fast. Go back to taking one small sip at a time,and pause between sips to see how you feel.

As far as ice, it does *count*, but it takes a lot of ice to equal a decent amount of water. Can you try drinking your water ice cold and see if that helps?

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

morgans
on 7/26/12 8:37 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Are you taking Nexium or something like that?

Yes - ice absolutely counts -it's liquid! I lived off of Crystal Light Peach Tea homemade popsicles. It definitely helped me get liquid in without drinking too much too fast.

seekingslimness
on 7/26/12 8:45 am
VSG on 02/24/12
Ice counts! Are you taking a PPI? I saw someone else mention that as well. Sometimes I have to wait, even now, to drink as much as I want.
   NIKKI

clubnewyou
on 7/26/12 8:59 am - TN
Thanks so much to all that have responded I really need the help i will definitely try the ice cold water.
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/12 11:01 am, edited 7/26/12 11:02 am
First, getting enough liquid is not an option. Think of drinking water like it's your job! Getting enough fluid will keep you out of the ER and safe. Dehydration is very dangerous.

Here's a trick that works for many people trying to get in enough water:

Measure out 8 oz (1 measuring cup) of water each hour. Make it your job to finish each cup of water in one hour. That's only drinking a quarter cup every 15 minutes. Not too hard to do at 2 weeks out.

When you eat your little meals (if you're eating yet) take an hour break from the water, then once an hour has passed, start right back up with the water.

Say you're awake 16 hours. Subtract 3 hours for your meals and that still leaves you with 13 hours to get in all your water and protein shakes. If you stick to the above plan you can get 104 ounces of liquid in a day pretty easily.

Good luck.

Edited to add: Try different temperatures of water. I did best with room temperature water right after surgery. Now I like ice cold. I have a friend that drank warm water for several weeks because that worked for her.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views