This is what it is about...

Medic911NC
on 7/12/12 9:32 pm - NC
VSG on 03/03/12 with
I think I may have mentioned this before but my oldest son has Autism. In the summer, he attends a day camp run by Park and Recreation here in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte, NC). My partner is actually the director of the program and every year she always tries and gets me to volunteer on their outing days....things like taking the kids to a AAA baseball game, going to Carowinds (similar to like a six flags), etc...ya know, pretty active things considering you have a group of approx 200 kids all with varying levels of disabilities.  Most of the time in the past I have always "had other obligations" just because I knew there was no way I could keep up!  Well, yesterday I finally decided to go and of all places they were going to the water park at Carowinds! Folks, not only did I keep up but I was the one volunteering to take one of the kids that uses a power chair up and down the talles****er slide there...which meant taking her out of her chair and carrying her up those 20 or so flights of stairs!!!  I dont know which of us had a better or more "normal" time...the little girl that was able to do "typical" things that sometimes her CP robs her of or me being "typical" and not held back because of weight and lack of self-confidence! I still have a long ways to go as far as weight loss and also with how I see myself but life sure is getting better every day!!!  Now, I gotta run....day 2 at Carowinds starts in an hour and a half!

scarlettbegonias
on 7/12/12 9:52 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
Thats awesome, what a fantastic feeling that must have been!!
Happy966
on 7/12/12 9:53 pm

OK, I can feel myself tearing up a little bit, and I'm not all that sentimental.  Completely apart from surgery, I just want to thank you for doing that for those kids.  I can see you made quite a difference to them, and had lots of fun, too!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

stephanieplum
on 7/12/12 10:40 pm
VSG on 06/27/12
 That's impressive!  WTG!

Marabell
on 7/12/12 10:44 pm
VSG on 06/07/12
In my younger days, I worked in the medical field and for a few years I had the privilege of caring for severe and profoundly disabled children and young adults.

So I can say with the utmost sincerity and admiration, that I am very impressed, touched, and grateful, for not only the joy that you helped give that girl and the rest of the kids, but for the motivation and hope you have given to me.

GREAT JOB!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/12 11:57 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/16/12
What an awesome story; I can totally relate.
Keep up the great work.
stacezoe
on 7/13/12 12:15 am
Amazing story, and yes I totally agree that this is what its about, LIVING again, not hiding, not making excuses, just LIVING! Bravo!
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
Shagdoll
on 7/13/12 1:35 am
Freaking awesome NSV and I am right there with Happy. Thank you for doing what you do.
My cousin is visiting from Texas and she has an 11 year old daughter with autism. I remember seeing her about 5 years ago and she was very anti-social. I saw this little gal last night for the 1st time in 5 years and said hi to her but she ran to the other room. Before I left, I saw her in the hallway and I said, "Bye sweetie". She kinda looked up and said "bye" back to me. She totally made my day!
I saw her again this morning because her mom (my cousin) made her come out to say hi. Not only did she say hi to me, she also gave me a hug. Again, she made my day!!!
Sorry I got off into my own little experience but I was just happy to see this little gal open up to me.
BTW, you are doing awesome. Keep doing what you're doing!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Lisa S.
on 7/13/12 9:32 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
You rock!!! My 6 year old has autism. And I completely understand the "other obligations" thing. I am so excited for the school year. I will be able to be more active in his classroom and also with our Awana's group (similiar to scouts) at our church.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views