WLS, Hormones and Ruptured ovarian cysts (long)

ib40
on 6/14/12 12:51 pm
Here is the background info: I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19. I spent several years on birth control and then several years on fertility drugs in order to conceive. I was never thin but I gained the majority of my weight while taking fertility medication. After my first child, my reproductive system "rebooted" as it sometimes can. Since then, I've had more children and my cycles became very regular.

Since my WLS, my hormones are wreaking havoc on my body. The typical heavy cycles occurred after WLS, but then I had an anovulatory cycle and was 3.5 weeks late. Two weeks after that, in April, while preparing for our biggest fundraiser of the year later that night, an ovarian cyst ruptured. I have a pretty high pain tolerance--I thought it was a bladder infection; the PA at the walk-in clinic thought it was appendicitis.  By the time I went to the GYN a week later, you could still see the cyst bleeding during the ultrasound.

Now, two months later, a "complex" cyst  ruptured this week while on vacation in Las Vegas. I knew what it was and luckily had some pain relievers in my purse when the cyst grew painful. Then, while standing at the concierge desk purchasing tickets to a show, I almost passed out. It scared the crap out of me. Everything was fine, and then suddenly, my vision blurred and it sounded like I was underwater. Apparently, the cyst burst and began bleeding internally. I abhor making a scene and luckily, there were stools near a phone bank. My husband took me to sit down before I fell down. I spent the next four hours or so asleep in bed and was weak for the rest of the day.

My GYN's wife is a friend,, so I texted her to get in touch with my doctor. He told me there is nothing I can do at that point, but if the pain gets intense or if I am too weak, I should go to the ER. Of course, I did not.

I do feel better now, but I have a large amount of abdominal bloating and tenderness. I am craving read meat--the bloodier the better--so I know I'm a bit anemic at the moment, meaning I probably had/have some internal bleeding. While I still love my sleeve, this is a complication that I had not expected and am not sure will be corrected any time soon. I'm curious if anyone has had this occur and what you did? I do have an appointment with the doctor in a month.

acbbrown
on 6/14/12 2:28 pm - Granada Hills, CA
This sounds painful - I had a ruptured cyst about a month ago - my cycles have definitely been screwed up the last 4-5 months (though the first months post op were pretty normal/unremarkable).

They gave me BC to take to shrink any remaining cysts but I haven't started yet.  

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views