Why would Sweet Potato knock me out????

sacz111
on 5/7/12 10:27 pm
VSG on 04/16/12
I am 3 weeks out from getting the sleeve. I had a sweet potato yesterday and it went down fine, stayed down and all. But, a few minutes after eating it, i became very very tired and actually layed down and feel asleep for 2 hours. I slept very hard. This also happened with Cream of Wheat. Anyone out there know why this would happen. I am also diabetic but am slowly coming off some fo the meds. I was almost lethargic, after eating these two things. Thoughts? Thanks!!
HW:  280
SW: 255
CW:  194.4        
Vivian Prouty
on 5/7/12 10:41 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 There could be a possiblity that the SUGAR in the sweet potato made you sleepy.     Some people who have the sleeve actually have a form of dumping syndrome like the ones who have RNY.    You might want to watch what you eat even if it has "natural sugar",   You may be one of the ones that dump on sugar with the sleeve.   Congrats on your surgery.   I have NO clue why Cream of Wheat would do that to you....maybre the carbs.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

sacz111
on 5/7/12 10:47 pm
VSG on 04/16/12
Thanks.  I just thought I was doing a good thing by having the sweet potato.  I think your right, the sugar. 
tripmom02
on 5/7/12 10:50 pm - NJ
 Because they are very, very high in carbs and it causes what some call a *carb coma*, it can happen with anything that is carby or sugary (same difference really), but it will be worse for most on an empty stomach. It is a rapid emptying of undigested carbs into the intestines, which makes your blood sugar kind of funky and also causes blood flow to decrease some some areas of the body while it increases to the intestines to *help* with digestion, that is what mainly causes the sleepy feeling.

Some call this *dumping* but it is not true dumping syndrome. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

emelar
on 5/7/12 11:13 pm - TX
 Yup, carb coma. Sweet potatoes are nutritious, but high in carbs. It would probably be ok if you ate a little after eating protein. Same thing with cream of wheat. 
loverofcats
on 5/7/12 11:31 pm

3 weeks is a bit early for sweet potatoes due to the high sugar and carb content. I didn't have them until I hit maintenance. They are a great complex carb, but it may just be too early for you. Reactive hypoglycemia does happen with sleeve folks, so always have some protein with any type of carb that you have. Even mixing some unflavored protein in with the cream of wheat or sweet potato would help to decrease this reaction, but I would stay away from it, until later on. I was a few weeks out, when I tried some avocado. Big mistake early on, but I could tolerate it, later on. Having a history of diabetes may make you even more sensitive. Focus on protein.

Gail

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

SuzanneR
on 5/8/12 12:16 am - Randolph, NJ
 I don't eat complex carbs often but I combine them with protein. Keeps blood glucose stable. I may have 2 oz fish with a bite or two of a boiled potato.

MyOwnSunshine
on 5/8/12 12:32 am
I definitely dump.  I mean, really dump -- nausea, sometimes diarrhea, dizzy, sweaty, carb coma -- depending on how much and how sweet a food is, and whether I eat it with protein or not.

I've eaten sweet potatoes with a meal without problems, but it definitely sounds like you have some dumping going on. 

I am not sad that I dump.  I think it's kind of weird, though, and it's definitely become more pronounced lately. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
angelsmom89
on 5/8/12 2:20 am - Tallahassee, FL
FYI, a sweet potato is a better choice than a regular potato.   It is lower on the Glycemic Index than white potatoes so doesn't get converted into glucose as rapidly, thus not raising your blood sugar as quickly, resulting in less insulin getting dumped into your system.

"Sweet potatoes are used in controlling weight and conditions like diabetes. They are an easy way to get the heart healthy and to get cancer- fighting benefits into your diet.

A little known fact about beta-carotene and vitamins C and vitamin E is the protection they give the blood vessels and certain parts of the eye. The sweet potato gives you half of your daily value of vitamin C in only a 4-oz. serving. The same serving gives you 20 percent of the daily value of vitamin E.

Since sweet potatoes are such a good source of fiber, they're a good food for people with diabetes. The fiber helps lower blood sugar by slowing the rate at which food is converted into glucose and absorbed into the bloodstream. Also, because they are such complex carbohydrates, sweet potatoes can help control weight. "

I don't know about eating sweet potato 3 weeks after your surgery though.  I haven't had the VSG yet, but would assume that sweet potatoes are more of a maintenance food.  Check with your doctor. 

And don't eat them with tons of butter, melted marshmallows, brown sugar, etc!

No heaven will not ever Heaven be
Unless my cats are there to welcome me.
~Author Unknown

sacz111
on 5/8/12 5:06 am
VSG on 04/16/12
Thanks everyone! Im not going to have a sweet potato for a while now.  Of course, I didnt have anything on it.  butter, marshamallows and brown sugar?  Those days are gone and I'm glad of it too! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 430 views