I finally choked one down!

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 5/5/12 5:45 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
This is a HUGE milestone for me.  I had VSG on February 27.  Since that time, I've been unable to stomach protein drinks of any type.  I've spent well over $100 on various powders, RTD shakes, nectars, etc.  I've mixed with water, milk, hot cocoa, coffee...you name it, I've tried it to no avail.  I was on a site yesterday reading about protein shake ideas and came across one that made me come up with an idea of my own.  First of all, let me preface this by saying that I've had virtually NO PROTEIN since I had surgery other than what I could manage to eat during the day.  I've tried to eat only protein-rich foods because I know how vitally important it is for us to have it but I have NOT been meeting protein goals at all.  I have felt horrible about not being able to get it down and keep it down.  I was beginning to feel weaker and have been having dizziness for the past 3 days (unsure if it's related to lack or protein or something else), so I was getting desprate and very concerned in case it was due to my lack of protein intake.  Anyway, I have no sugar added Bluebell chocolate ice cream in the freezer (belongs to my diabetic husband) so I blended 1/2 cup of that with a nasty EAS low-carb chocolate protein shake that has been sitting in my fridge for a month.  I as able to suck it down through a straw.  I drank the ENTIRE thing!!!  I figure I'm better off doing it this way rather than go without protein all together.  I can drink one of these a day until I can eat the protein that I am required to get.  Now...to work on my fluid intake to try to get in more than I've been getting lately. 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

Madelaine2000
on 5/5/12 6:13 am
Glad to hear you found something that works for you..getting in the protein is vital and now you can! Thanks for sharing.

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 5/5/12 6:35 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Thanks. It was still yucky but at least it went down and STAYED down.
Holly L.
on 5/5/12 7:38 am
VSG on 05/14/12
Good job Michelle....Keep working on it.  I am a nurse and have seen what taking in NO protein after having gastric bypass will do.  Protein is ESSENTIAL!  Baby steps!

Jaybee766
on 5/5/12 9:04 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
Yea!!!!!  Good job.  So happy for you.  I've been struggling with my fluid intake apparently --- I thought I was doing fine.  We were sleeved the same day and I've been ok with my protein but dang it if I didn't develop kidney stones at week 6 or so.  Surgeon says I'm not getting enough water in.  I'd been doing 64 ounces most days but now I'm up around 75-80 and trying to hit 100.  I'm having outpatient surgery to kick the dang stones out!!!!   So my lesson learned is Drink Drink Drink Drink Drink.....

Seriously - I'm glad you found something that works. 
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

bedazzle
on 5/5/12 9:10 am
VSG on 04/26/12
 I'm using 100% Egg Protein in a vanilla ice cream flavor. I make my shakes with water, a banana, and ice cubes (4). Each serving has 24gms of protein and they taste great! They are also available in chocolate and strawberry. I purchase them from the Vitamin Shop.

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/12 10:25 am - AL
VSG on 04/30/12
I hate the nasty taste of protein too and I smell everything too so that just kills it. I made a ton of pre-surgery protein shakes and the only thing I found that hid the smell and taste of protein was this: 8oz or so unsweetened grapejuice, scoop of vanilla Matrix, handful of frozen mixed berries, couple if ice cubes-tossed in the magic bullet and BAM!
CallmeBigA
on 5/5/12 11:24 am
I was sleeved on 3/27/12 and have had trouble finding a protein shake that I could tolerate. I have been making smoothies with frozen fruit (banana, peach and strawberry purchased at Wal Mart), about a cup of french vanilla yogurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and about 1/2 cup of milk. The fruit masks the taste of the protein powder and I can drink the whole thing in about an hour. I'm going to try with frozen blueberries next.

But I have also  found a canned protien drink that I like. 35 grams of protien in 11 ounces. The name is Pure Protein, and I got the Banana Creme and Vanilla Creme. There are a few other flavors. I found this for $2.25 per can at Vitamin Plus/Drug Emporium in Lafayette. The website for this product is www . pureprotein. net. This drink has been a lifesaver for me.

I have found that the more protein that I get in, the more weight that I lose. I started at 311 and am down to 270 as of this morning :-) Good luck to you...hope you can find something that you can tolerate.
loverofcats
on 5/5/12 12:41 pm
Using unflavored protein in foods, such as Greek yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, chili, puddings, soups, etc., is another way to get more protein into your diet, without the shakes. I did this quite a bit, early out, and it did help to gradually meet my protein goals. Also, Unjury makes a chicken soup that has 20 grams of protein. It is high in sodium, but can always be diluted.

There is a whey protein called "Beneprotein" that is a pure whey isolate and can be mixed in all foods very well. A dietitian in my program introduced me to it, and it can be bought on Amazon.com. It doesn't have any of the artificial sweetners and can be bought in packets that are great for traveling. Each serving has 6 grams of protein for 25 calories. So, 24 grams of protein would be 100 calories, which is comparable to what is available elsewhere.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views