Ruggie's VSG FAQ list for sarcastic people

ruggie
on 4/29/12 11:22 pm - Sacramento, CA
Howdy fellow VSGers -

It seems I can be quite polarizing, I'm told, and I figured, hey, why not give Frisco a run for his money?  So I've compiled a list of answers to Frequently Asked Questions - but for sarcastic people like me!  Regular, sweet people probably won't appreciate this, so I'm warning you now before you read it that Ye Olde Sarcasm lies ahead!  None of the following are about any specific people or posts, just things I've seen while I've been here on OH.  I'm sure you'll either be entertained or offended.  One or the other!

Oh - random reminder - commiseration and support are not the same thing.  Something to think about.   Commiseration is just misery loving company.  Support is proving tools for advancement and success.

Thus begins the FAQ for sarcastic people:
=================================================

Yes, there is in fact something very wrong with you that you've only lost five pounds in your one week of post-op.  I think your surgeon has screwed up your surgery and removed your liver instead.  You should be losing at least twenty pounds per day.  Get a lawyer.

Ok, you're less than two weeks out but your surgeon said no carbonation - oh but you found a soda that has "less" carbonation?  Sure, go ahead and drink it.  Have a few!  He's just a big meanie anyway.  Soda is great for dieting after all. 

My goodance, you have generated so my pity in my heart that you cannot "tolerate" the taste of your chewable vitamins.  I certainly don't blame you for stoping eating them.  After all, we don't want to improve your health if the cost is 10 seconds of absolute taste torture - chewable vitamins are the worst tasting thing on the planet, after all.  I know I cried a million tears as a child each time I ate a Flintstone's vitamin.

I know it's challenging to get down to goal, and now that it's slowed down for you, instead of exercising more or cutting calories, I definitely think you should take that drug you read about that they sell in  Mexico that makes you lose weight with only a "mild" chance of heart attack.  Double up - you'll lose faster.  (You'll also be so much more productive since you won't need sleep either.)

You're two weeks after surgery and you don't know what to eat (somehow) and you ask a group of strangers what to eat, instead of asking the man you paid several thousand dollars to slice you up.  Did it occur to ask about how you might eat before the surgery?  Oh right, I was pretty busy too before my surgrey for such little details too.  I did finally finish ou****ching Lost on Netflix (boy, I want to get my time back for that...)  Well, I can tell you what you're going to have to eat now, but you might be in for a surprise.....

Yes, if you can physically blend it, then it's a puree food.  Just add enough water and the cheeseburger will puree - that bun sure does soak up a lot!  Cheeseburger puree goes great with the applesauce and mashed potatoes you're already eating.

So I see you've decided that if God "lets" you survive your surgery, you're just going to let him worry about getting the vitamins you need from food?  Interesting.  Does he make your life insurance policy choice as well?  Just curious how far this relationship goes.  Does he brush your teeth for you as well, or are cavities "his will" too? 

Oh yes, pizza is definitely an all-around approved WLS food since you're buying the thin crust pizza.  Boy, I was ready to yell at you thinking it was "regular crust" pizza, but you have clearly found a health food here and have shamed me with your forward thinking. 

(Also seen with pizza) You're right!  Pizza is an excellent source of protein during weight loss since it's made with high-fat cheese and fatty protein!  I can hear your heart squealing with the love you show it.

I guess you're right... there really is no possible way to "live a little" other than to eat bad food.  Who knew?  You've convinced me that life is an empty and miserable experience without bad food.

I did not, in fact, realize that one's soul could be nourished with food.  I thought food nourishes one's body, but I'm just a biochemist, what do I know?  Eat if your soul is hungry.  Eat, eat!

Let's be honest, the only thing that tastes worst than chewable vitamins is protein shakes.  I've found you can make them tolerable if you make them with whole milk and add a half-cup of peanut butter.... yum!!!!  Now I just have to figure out why I'm stalled.

Do I know an upstate VSG surgeon in New York that takes Podunk Insurance and doesn't require any blood work or psych consult?   In fact, I do have a list of 17 doctors here that fit that criteria.  For some reason.

Oh, you would like some ideas on why you're not losing my weight, but you have neglected to tell us your starting weight, current weight, surgery type, calorie intake, protein/carb info, exercise info, fluid intake info, etc.  Yeah, fortunately the cameras I have installed in your apartment informs me it's because you're eating chips and lots of them.

Yes, someone losing weight faster than you is proof that something is wrong with you.  Straight up.

No no, I should completely coddle you and tell you "it's ok, you poor thing", after you have hurt yourself by eating six chocolate chips cookies in 5 minutes.  It was wrong of me to ask "what were you thinking" or "did you realize that's twice the size of your stomach"?  I will learn to express only pity for those kinds of mistakes rather than question your expectations of reality - or three-dimensional space.

Oh, you're a DS patient, and you think that anyone who gets a VSG or RnY are idiots and everyone who does is eventually going to get a revision into a DS?  I better go ahead and book my revision now.  Funny though, I'm at goal and you're not, but I'll still get that revision.

No, of course you have to "live a little".  That's why you can eat calorie dense food and and cake on:  major holidays, minor holidays, your birthdays, family birthdays, coworker birthdays, major milestone events, minor milestone events, good days worth celebrating, bad days worth forgetting, when you need to 'live' a little and every Tuesday and Thursday.  Also, when food is free or brought in by someone.  Also when food is one sale.  It's the law to eat it then.  I mean, are you going to let food go to "waste" or your "waist"?  Get that cupcake in your mouth stat!

I'm pretty sure that if I put a scoop of unflavored protein into cookie dough mix you'd never taste it, but somehow you've turned into a bloodhound and now it's enough to make you wretch when added to your soup.  Ok.  I'm sure there's nothing mental going on here at all.

I don't know why you've been unable to get to goal either after being stalled for several months, but I agree with you that it's not because you don't exercise or keep a food log.  I mean, the people that lose all their excess weight don't exercise or log their food, right? 

Yes, just by reminding you that the average WLS patient only loses 70% of their excess weight in the long run, I am automatically being unsupportive and saying you will fail.  Clearly you will lose 120% excess weight.  Like the first man on the moon, you're gonna be the first WLS patient to get to goal by eating just smaller portions of fast food and junk food!  Why did I do it the hard way? Please, write a book!

========================================

Love ya all..... 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 7:58 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
I love this! Too funny! I know I'm only 3 months out but I've been on Obesity Help since 2009 reading and surfing the forums. I've seen a lot of crazy posts. I love what you said about DS'ers. Some of them are sooo worried that VSG'ers won't lose their weight. I have no idea why when stats show that many VSG'ers lose around 70-80% of excess weight, and we all know that some lose ALL of it! 

I also like what you said about Lost. I miss the really large long-haired guy. Of course now I get to watch him on Alcatraz but the season finale' has come and gone. I never watched the full series of Lost and boy am I glad. i watched a few episodes but found out the finale' by reading a spoiler on the web. I'm so glad because I would have felt like I wasted my time.

Anyway, your post was brilliant. Who in the hell has surgery and wants to blend a friggin burger in a blender? haha! I mean I guess you can't fix stupid.
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 8:03 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Thanks for the laughs! Classic!
Pura Vida
on 5/3/12 12:23 pm - Costa Rica
I realize I am a bit late, but on the next one please include a response to " my fat mom, BFF, sister is acting funny because I am losing weight and she's not. What is the problem?

Thanks for the laughs!
Could_It_Be
on 5/3/12 12:48 pm
 Well played Ruggie, well played!

VSG on 6/22/11
JAlston
on 8/25/12 11:48 am
VSG on 12/07/12
I am so disappointed that I missed this original post, shame on me. I am so glad someone referenced it in one of today's posts. I almost peed my pants while reading it. I am pre-op and shake my head in amazement at some people's questions. I particularly loved seeing the debate more recently on why a newbie post op felt tysons breaded chicken tenders where a good food option since they could only consume 2 now...really? Epic fail. 

Oh, I love sarcasim...it just makes my friggen day! 

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

slimpickins5280
on 4/29/12 1:08 pm - CO
YES! You are one brave ******!

Now I need a LOVE button!!!

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

pinkpeonies
on 4/29/12 1:12 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
 OMG...I'm adding a pillow disclaimer here for recent sleeve-ees. Get one first, hold it to stomach, THEN read.

Laughed out loud at a few of these. Thank you Ruggie for putting it all in such colorful perspective. Definitely one for the bookmarks for when I'm having a "stupid" day. :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

MyOwnSunshine
on 4/29/12 1:17 pm
Ruggie -- you've gone too far this time!  I will never read your posts again.  I can't believe that you have the nerve to criticize LOST in a public forum.  Just because the ending didn't turn out like you wanted, doesn't mean it's wrong or bad.  Not everyone needs the same thing from the ending of a series that they've invested 120 hours watching.  How cruel, insensitive and selfish you are!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
AnnMarie
on 4/29/12 1:21 pm
VSG on 04/10/12
ah but wait--my husband watched the entire series for the first time last year. we had friends over who had never seen an episode and he said well let me spare you the time-wanna know they ending? yeah? they're all ------
yeah he told them. I almost decked him :)

Loved your post by the way!

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views