Starting my quiting (smoking) savings plan!!

NanaDebby65
on 4/22/12 2:39 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Tomorrow is the day!! I've been putting it off with all kinds of excuses and realized if I wait for the "perfect" time to quit, it's never going to happen.

I'm a very goal oriented person. I want to "see" results. I know once I quit I will start feeling better but I also want to see progress.

So I am going to pay myself to quit. I usually buy 2 packs every other day which cost $11.86. Starting tomorrow I am going to transfer that $11.86 every other day into my savings account and watch it grow.

I am feeling very positive about this approach, now if only I could get my head around the eating issues associated with the quitting. I know I'm probably going to gain a few pounds so I'm going to HAVE to be very focused on my eating plan.

I did speak with my PCP this week about the "bad" cholesterol issue and he is giving me 2 months to try things my way (quitting smoking and regular exercise). Then we will retest. He did say as long as I quit and exercise regularly, he would not put me on statins as long as my "bad" cholesterol stays under 130. I'm ok with that!!

Just a note to all pre-op smokers, do not do what I did!! When you quit, make it for life! I definitely understand how easy it is to go back but let me tell you it is so not worth it in the long run!!

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
ruggie
on 4/22/12 3:23 am - Sacramento, CA
Good grief, that's over two grand a year.

And yet, that's not nearly as important as the health benefits and quality of life issues you'll gain after you stop smoking for many months - that alone is well worth more than a couple grand a year.

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

NanaDebby65
on 4/22/12 5:58 am - North Richland Hills, TX
I agree! My health is the most important issue!! However, I'm thinking that a couple of grand a year is going to go towards my new addition, clothes/shoe shopping!! I will not only be much healthier but look better as well!!

Thank you!!
ruggie
on 4/22/12 6:10 am - Sacramento, CA
Brilliant! 

Maybe a gym membership too, since you'll be able to breathe and run and do cardio!

You should post the pictures of the clothes you buy with your "cigarette money" later - I bet others will find it inspirational.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

NanaDebby65
on 4/22/12 6:21 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Great idea!! I'm actually excited about quitting this time because I KNOW it is doable!! Will def post the cig money clothes!! 

I will keep the gym membership in mind too! I'm going to go walk around the neighborhood tonight. I need to get this habit started before I contemplate running. I get the "noodle" leg syndrome when I walk so it might take awhile before I can run! LOL!
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 3:32 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12

NanaDebby65
on 4/22/12 6:16 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Very interesting!! I did buy the patches and what he says is true, it's just going to prolong the withdrawl process. Thank you for sharing this information!! I'm probably going to watch it several times over the next few days and I dont think I'm going to use the patches. What he said makes perfect sense!!

Thank you for sharing this information!!
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 9:48 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Yes I agree completely.  It was only hard for 2 days and then just the mental aspect of it after that.  I just quit cold turkey.

I have watched this video at least 100 times over the last 7 years just to remind me.  Also what helped me from going back to smoking was the fact that after about a month of not doing it anymore, I started to get my sense of smell back again (and taste) and I grew to detest the smell of the smoke.  It really smells quite nasty to me now after not doing it for a while.  This has really helped me from ever wanting it again.  It just smells too bad.

1london
on 4/22/12 5:02 am
Debby, we are cheering you on!!!  You can do this and you will be so much healthier, happier and have a bigger savings account!! :)
Best wishes!

NanaDebby65
on 4/22/12 6:16 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Thank you!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op