How much time should I request off?

CandieHearts
on 4/17/12 12:21 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/17/12
So I go for my pre-op appointment on May 10th where I am sure I will get to ask the rest of my questions for the surgeon. But to get ahead start of notifying my job how long I am going to be out, I was wondering for those of you that have been sleeved, how long were you in the hospital and how long were you out of work? Or how long do you wish you were out of work? Thanks all for your info!

newme2011-2012
on 4/17/12 12:36 am
I think it depends on what you do for a living.
I went back to work one week out . I am a hairdresser and own my own business which I run out of my house. So I was able to do some work and also rest.
I felt just fine. Alot depends on hoow suregery goes for you too.
I have a very high pain tolerance.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

disneyfan551
on 4/17/12 12:36 am - Great Smoky Mountains, NC
VSG on 05/07/12
I've been wondering the same thing.  I know it can vary for every person, but the Coordinator told me that the Dr. definitely won't let me go back before my 3 wk. follow up appt. with him.  I have a vacation previously planned for my 4th wk of post-op, and am praying I feel good enough to go! 
CandieHearts
on 4/17/12 11:43 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/17/12
O wow, my coordinator emailed me today and said that the average is about 2 weeks so I am going to start with that.

Snowberry
on 4/17/12 12:43 am
VSG on 04/10/12
 How much time you should ask off for depends on your job.  If I'd asked off for six weeks, well, it wouldn't have been pretty.  But I've had other (larger) employers that were generous in their sick leave policies.

It doesn't hurt to ask for more than you think you'll need and then come back early if you're feeling up to it.  I suspect that may work better than asking for a week off and then calling in to say you need more time.

Your surgeon will probably give you his opinion on how much time he thinks you need off.  Mine told me at least two weeks, maybe more (I admit, I wasn't listening).  I knew that wasn't realistic for me, so I just took off the amount of time I felt I could get away with (four days) and went back.  BUT I had no complications and have a desk job.   I had my surgery a week ago today and went back to work full-time yesterday...but I was emailing my office from the hospital the day after surgery.  So far, I'm fine, just tired.

Having said that?  I think one more full week off would have been nice.  I'm in no pain, but I am tired and I hate finding a spot for this drain under my clothes.  If you can afford more time off from work, take it.

fypcdqt
on 4/17/12 12:45 am - Cumming, GA
Everyone responds differently.  For me, I had a hard time waking up from anesthesia and was very tired for a long time.  My office originally agreed to let me work remotely part time as I worked into full time, but company policy changed while I was on the operating table.  I couldn't work unless I was in the building.  Unfortunately I couldn't drive, so it was a good 3 weeks before I went back even part time.  After about 5 weeks I was full time. 

I could have handled more if I didn't have to drive, but driving seemed to drain me the most.  I would also suggest keeping "Emergency protein" with you when you're driving.  There were times I thought I was okay to drive and 15 minutes into my 25 minute commute I had to pull over b/c I was light headed.  I would nibble on cheese crackers or string cheese (don't leave the string cheese in your car!****il I felt better, then I could finish driving.  It only happened twice, but now that I'm further out I still keep beef jerky in my car so if I find myself leaving work and light headed or if I am out longer than I think I will be (grocery shopping or what not), I have something easily within reach to get me through until I get home.

So excited for your journey to continue!!!  Just remember to take it easy and be gentle on yourself.

Amy

sutherngrl94
on 4/17/12 12:49 am - Raleigh, NC
My surgeon has told me 4 weeks so that's what I'm planning on.  I work at a desk job so I'm not mobile a lot, but can get up and move if I need to.  I'm taking the whole 4 weeks to make sure I'm healed and doing well and am going to my 3 week appt and going to just take my time. 

JV_ladybug
on 4/17/12 12:50 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 04/10/12
 I asked for two weeks off. I didn't tell them what for, 'cause I'm a secretive person lol. I'm one week out and going stark raving mad. I think a week off would've been just fine, though. I'm hardly in any pain.

Starting: 284. Op Day: 264. Current: 185.80. Goal: 180.
Main goal: To be able to take the "morbidly" out.
islandjake
on 4/17/12 5:44 am - HI
VSG on 04/03/12
i think its more fatigue that I worry about. The pain honestly was gone after 4 days for me. Yeah, my belly felt like I did 1000 situps 4 days earlier, but it only hurt when I sneezed (ouch!). What I did notice when upping my activity level is I still tired sooner than pre-op. so I opted to ride out my vacation time as long as possible. But now, stir crazy. I found myself driving through an industrial district to see if I could spot some factory stores that I didnt know about. Now that. is. bored.
CandieHearts
on 4/17/12 1:17 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/17/12
My Job offers Short Term Disabiliy but the policy reuires atleast 24 hours hospitalization. So I am hoping that I can get that because the job will pay me 70% of what I make!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views