Any Suggestions for hair loss?

Jamato
on 4/3/12 5:07 pm - Carteret, NJ
I am taking a pre natal vitamin & biotin & hair is falling out like crazy. Just went for a trim in hopes it will help. I will take any & all suggestions! TY

USAF Wife
on 4/3/12 9:35 pm
Nothing will stop the shedding. Unfortunately, it's just part of the process. Everything you're doing will help regrowth. My hair fell out for 3 solid months, but I had new growth coming in before the shedding stopped. I lost half of my hair by volume, it thinned out, but it all grew back. Make sure you are staying on top of your protein intake and your vitamins. Other than that, it's just a temporary side effect.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

hrford
on 4/3/12 9:57 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 About when does it usually start happening?  Honestly I could use some thinning, my hair is so thick.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

USAF Wife
on 4/3/12 10:03 pm
On April 4, 2012 at 4:57 AM Pacific Time, hrford wrote:
 About when does it usually start happening?  Honestly I could use some thinning, my hair is so thick.
Mine started at 3.5 months post-op. I have super thick, coarse hair, it thinned out tremendously. I didn't take anything special, no biotin or any other pill form. I just continued with protein based meals, and making sure I was eating full fat. I did use Folicure Extra care shampoo every other to every 2 days to help strip my scalp so new growth could come in. It's super drying, on the opposite days I use Nexxus anti-breakage shampoo and conditioner regimen.

Rae_2011
on 4/4/12 3:19 am
Hey USAWIFE,

You said that you made sure to eat full fat.  Did I understand that correctly?  Does low fat stuff make the hair loss worse?  You're such a success story, I'm just curious if I had that right b/c my surgeon's office keeps stressing low fat everything.  (p.s. I know that we each should follow our surgeon's plan--but I like to take into account what successful folks have done).
USAF Wife
on 4/4/12 3:59 am
On April 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM Pacific Time, Rae_2011 wrote:
Hey USAWIFE,

You said that you made sure to eat full fat.  Did I understand that correctly?  Does low fat stuff make the hair loss worse?  You're such a success story, I'm just curious if I had that right b/c my surgeon's office keeps stressing low fat everything.  (p.s. I know that we each should follow our surgeon's plan--but I like to take into account what successful folks have done).
Fat is essential for healthy body function, including skin and hair. I hate low fat crap and the reason why is because it's chalked full of sodium and typically more carbs and sugar because they have to make it taste better when they remove all the fat.

I'm not talking about eating out of the Crisco container. But, avocados, nuts, peanut butter, full fat salad dressing, full fat cheese, sautee veggies in olive oil etc etc. Good healthy fats.

I had zero cholesterol issues so eating a full fat diet has never negatively effected me.

The only thing I ate that was zero fat was the plain, nonfat Greek yogurt but that's because that is what was available.

My goal was too low carb it. If I went fat free or even low fat, I'd get way more carbs in that were not necessary.

mycheeka1
on 4/3/12 10:08 pm
 Does the thinning get to the point where you need a wig?
USAF Wife
on 4/3/12 10:39 pm
On April 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM Pacific Time, mycheeka1 wrote:
 Does the thinning get to the point where you need a wig?
Mine did not warrant any type of wig or extensions. I chopped all my hair off into a bunch of choppy layers to create the illusion of volume. There's a couple on here who had serious hair loss with the need for hair pieces.

Here's an article that explains it:

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.html

Daisy_Rose
on 4/3/12 11:29 pm
 I take Biotin daily and use Nioxin shampoo/conditioner.  About 3 months/2 weeks, I noticed hair falling out.  It has lessened in the past month since, but still losing it.  However, I'm also losing my big butt, thighs and weight.  It's a trade-off I'mtook.    I had a good haircut and have naturally curly hair, so naturally curly it goes!  My stylist has become my "best friend" through this!

kanga003
on 4/3/12 11:56 pm
I'm one of the ones who had hair loss REALLY, REALLY bad and even now, almost 9 months out, it continues (not much left tho...)... I AM NOT THE NORM THOUGH!  I only share to show that there is hope even if you get towards the worst case spot that I'm in :-)

They have checked EVERYTHING and I am doing everything right, labs are great... for me, it just is what it is... you can see pics on my profile...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views