Banana?

kitsyb
on 3/30/12 4:46 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
I am almost 10 weeks out and doctor told me my potassium was low.  My feet are real swollen so she prescribed some lasix which I have taken for 3 days and they are still swollen.  Today I woke up very weak and not feeling too great.  I have been taking potassium along with my vitamins but nothing seems to be helping.  I know I'm not getting 64 oz. of water a day but probabaly 48 oz.  I hate water and have to fight with myself to drink it.  Anyone else weak all the time and does anyone have their opinions on bananas at this stage?

favrow812
on 3/30/12 4:48 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
I was eating pureed bananas starting at 2 week post op but my NUT just said to be careful of the carbs they have. She said they aren't necessarily bad for you, just not the fruit of her choice.

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

tripmom02
on 3/30/12 4:49 am - NJ
 Bananas are SUPER high in carbs and sugar, I would avoid them. There are SO many other good foods out there that have high potassium that can fit into your diet and actually help you towards your protien goal - You need to find a way to get more liquids in.

• High potassium foods (more than 200 mg per serving):

• One-half cup of cooked pinto beans (400), lentils (365), or dried peas (355).

• One cup of soy milk (345).

• Three ounces of baked or broiled salmon (319).

• Three ounces of roasted turkey, dark meat (259).

• One-fourth cup of sunflower seeds (241).

• Three ounces of cooked lean beef (224).

• Two tablespoons of peanut butter (214).
  • Medium potassium foods (100-200 mg per serving):

• One ounce of salted peanuts (187).

• Low potassium foods (less than 100 mg per serving):

• One egg (55 mg).

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Father Don
on 3/30/12 4:51 am - Charleston, SC
I also take lasix and another water pill for my liver....so I feel your pain! (and my cramps)

I take a magnesium with a potassium supplument - was told (by a doctor somewhere in my extremely large cadre of doctors) that magnesium helps potassium absorbtion - don't know if it's true or not, but I'm doing it...and blood levels are being monitored.....

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

elaine-is-ready
on 3/30/12 5:16 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I am only 11 days out or so, so on liquids only, and I've been adding O.N.E. coconu****er to my fluids.  While it has 15 grams total carbohydrates/330ml, each also has 670mg potassium.  The tetra-paks taste best, I think.  It also has 25mg magnesium/330ml, by the way.

According to myfitnesspal app, a 7 inch banana has 420 mg potassium, 20.8 grams total carbs, and 100 calories.  On the plus side, it also contains 2.7 grams fiber.

HW= 305        pre-op wt loss= 35 lbs
VSG date: 3/19/12
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 383 views