can they cancel surgery over vitamin d definicincy?

Sally D.
on 3/11/12 1:22 am
VSG on 03/14/12
I had pre op thursday and surgery is this wednesdy. My vitamin d was a 13 - will they postpone surgery?
katesidea
on 3/11/12 1:39 am
My vitamin D was lower than yours, my surgery was not cancelled.  However, different doctors may have different ideas.  Good luck!

califsleevin
on 3/11/12 4:05 am - CA
While vit D deficiency has some long term effects, I don't think that there is anything that is immediately theatening that would cause delay in your surgery. My doc historically never checked D pre-op but started doing so when seeing significant numbers of patients being D deficient post op, but not knowing whether that was due to the surgery and aftercare or if it was pre-existing. So, for their practice, is was more for the sake of improving their post-op regimen than for immediate surgical considerations. Now, they can have you start supplementing D pre-op and early post-op rather than waiting for labs to be drawn a few months post-op to find the problem.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

CheeseLover
on 3/11/12 5:53 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I doubt they would.
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
seekingslimness
on 3/11/12 6:20 am
VSG on 02/24/12
Mine was lower than yours.  They had me take a prescription dose of vitamin D and surgery went ahead as scheduled.  You should be just fine.  Good Luck!
   NIKKI

cracsgrl
on 3/11/12 6:55 am
 I have always had Vitamin deficiency issues my entire life and two of my biggest battles are my iron and my Vit D.  Just to keep my Vit D in the 20s I take 20-40 thousand UIs a DAY! I have been as low as a 7 before. Not sure whether your Dr would postpone or not. 

Some things I have learned about having low vit D levels is it can make you hurt EVERYWHERE!! Many people are misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia because of this. When my levels get below 20 it hurts to even be touched. My skin is so sensitive it even hurts for water from the shower to hit it. I was finally diagnosed sith VDDS (Vitamin d deficiency Syndrome) and so were both of my children. My sons levels when they get low cause him ticks similar to Tourettes Syndrome.  Many people tell us just to go get some sun. Although this is the typical way of getting your levels to rise naturally for the VDDS it does not prove very effective. 

As for iron I take 2 prenatels with iron plus take 90mgs daily. This is what I have to take to just maintain a sort of normal range. This has also been inherited by my children too. Both of these vitamins getting low can cause you to basically feel horrible. 

Also people that have BMIs over 30 typically have really low D levels since the vitamin is attracted into fat cells. 
More and more drs are become aware of the problems that certain deficiencies cause. 

Sally D.
on 3/11/12 8:24 am
VSG on 03/14/12
Thanks for all the message=  makes me feel better. I'm going to believe Im good to go for Wednesday!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views