hair loss--extensions? wigs?

acochr2
on 3/7/12 11:26 am
 so i know hair loss is inevitable and a small price to pay for something so amazing but its scaring the hell out of me. surgery is friday and i was wondering if your hair loss was bad enough that others noticed, you got hair extensions or even had to get a wig?
AngelaC80
on 3/7/12 11:37 am
I know a few that have had to buy a wig. I know others that lost some or no hair.

I had thinning hair before and its falling out bad. I just found out that my thyroid is hypoactive
thus could be contributing to my hair loss.

I guess its hard to say if you will be one that will have no hair loss or more than a little.

acochr2
on 3/7/12 11:41 am
 right i dont think i could ever get lucky enough to lose barely any but trying to think about losing alot is just eating at me pretty much constantly..i'm only 24.. i have a very active social life and i think i probably wouldn't leave my house until it all came back would could be a year or more..ohhh this is scary
newme2011-2012
on 3/7/12 12:06 pm
I am 4 months out on the 10th and so far no hair loss. Fingers crossed...
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

46_11tobeme
on 3/7/12 12:12 pm - NJ
 I dont think it is inevitable. I am also a little over 4 months out and have had no hair loss. Everyone is different - hope for the best (and prepare for the worst). Hope all goes well!

Michelle10929
on 3/7/12 12:36 pm - NC
I'm crossing my fingers. I have very thin hair to begin with.. and had pretty bad hair loss during my divorce due to stress. So bad that I had spots where you could see the scalp. So... I'm going to pray, buy nioxin, eat my protein, take my biotin, and I already have a short hair cut picked out :/
cece58
on 3/7/12 1:24 pm - CA
 I lost a lot of hair. My hair is fine and as a cancer survivor I have lost my hair a few times before. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it fell out pretty good. Started about 4 months after surgery. I didn't get a wig because I refuse to ever wear a wig again. I didn't get extensions because after paying for the surgey I really couldn't afford extensions plus the extensions (had them before) made my (real) hair even thinner. I just put my hair back in a clip and wore it that way. My face was now thin so it looked just fine. Last week was the first time that I was able to wear my hair down in about a year. It has finally grown back. I take lots of supplements and vitamins and they have really helped. I didn't mind losing my hair because I also lost all my excess weight. Wouldn't change a thing!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Gin2bthin
on 3/7/12 2:13 pm - WV
I lost a ton of hair,Came back in thicker than before..My hair is the best its looked in years.But when i did lose it,It was very depressing and devestating i had to wear bandanas and hats for awhile..I used Megatek horse conditioner and i truly believed that helped..Its actually Same as the Ovation hair therapy..I bought a bottle in august for 26 bucks or so I still have it so its worth the money.My hair is back to normal actually better than normal..If you do have loss..dont worry it does come back..

lanunes
on 3/7/12 5:21 pm - CA
I started losing my hair at about 4 1/2 - 5 months out. It came out in massive hand fulls. Luckily I had a lot of hair, but not any more =( I did everything right and had already been taking biotin for years before my surgery....didn't help the falling out one bit! But it is part of the process and It should grow back, so I gave into it rather then stress over something I can't control. I did ask my hair stylist about extentions and she said NO!!!! She said that the hair is falling out and the weight from the extentions would make things worse. My hairloss has slowed down some, I am about 8 months out. I probably lost about 1/2 my volume but no bald spots.
      Leslie Nunes              
Anne D.
on 3/7/12 10:50 pm
I lost hair from 4 mo to about 7 mo. Quite a bit, but I had a lot of hair to begin with. It was all over, not in one spot. No one noticed but me and my hair stylist. Now it's growing back, and it's about 3 inches long so far, still not noticeable. I don't think you should worry, it will grow back, and there's really nothing you can do anyway. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views