having trouble with liquids

mamachristi
on 2/22/12 9:50 pm
VSG on 01/24/12
 I'm having such a hard time getting all my liquids down every day. I'm a month out from surgery and am getting all my protein in. I usually get about 60-70 grams each day. I hate the taste of water. Its  very metallic-y. I drink Isopure, crystal light, and skim milk. I have yet to get more than 36-45 oz of fluids down. Even if I sip all day, it seems impossible! Am I the only one with this problem? Please gve me some answers! Thanks!

kitsyb
on 2/22/12 10:00 pm - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
I am having the same problem.  It seems to be a timing thing.  I always feel like I need to be getting protein but then have to wait to drink anything.  I drink water during the day but at night I drink diet V8 Splash for the fruits & veggies and crystal light.  I am not walking like I should but plan on starting this Monday (ha!) and hope that will help my water intake.
CheeseLover
on 2/22/12 10:27 pm
VSG on 02/16/12
I'm only a week out but I can barely get more than 32oz (if that) in a day. I cannot force myself to drink constantly because it makes me feel bloated and full and I hate that feeling. Bonus is that I don't have to get up 3-4 times at night to pee anymore like I used to LOL
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
Shagdoll
on 2/22/12 10:51 pm
I know it's hard to get all your fluids in at this stage. I had to literally carry a water bottle with me everywhere I went, even to the restroom (sorry TMI) & I still didn't get 64 oz. in a day at that point yet but I was getting over 50 oz. a day. Just really try to do your best; it's horrible to end up in the ER for dehydration from what I've heard. Good luck!
Jennifer H.
on 2/23/12 12:11 am, edited 2/23/12 12:12 am - TX
VSG on 01/17/12
I am 5 weeks out and I don't get all my fluids in. I have found that flavored drinks work better for me(koolaid, tea****ep water or liquid with me at all times. I am like you as drinking constantly makes me feel really bloated and sick. All we can do is our best. Keep your chin up and keep at it!

rajj
on 2/23/12 2:14 am - NC
Why not get your water and some of your protein at the same time, I mix 1 or 2  New Whey Protein shots  ( each shot has 42 gms of protein) in a jug add water to make 72 oz then I add a couple of squirts of that new drink stuff MIO . I use the Orange flavored shots and the orange-tangerine Mio  I drink on this all day.  Tastes GREAT!! I don't like the plain taste of water so I use the Mio's in all my water.  They are easy to take with me and I can add as much or as little as I want. Just beware of the ENERGY ones they have Cafeine!
mamachristi
on 2/23/12 11:15 am
VSG on 01/24/12
I'm actually allergic to the whey protein.  Stinks but I'm trying to get it other ways.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Carlen T.
on 2/23/12 3:41 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I have to caution you all - GET YOUR FLUIDS IN! I thought I was doing o****il the day I passed out in my shower. I was dehydrated. I ended up in the ER. Had to have IV fluids. But I also messed up my back and couldn't exercise for a couple of weeks and stalled my weight loss. Bad news all around. Get the fluids in above all else.

Carlen T        

Georgi
on 2/23/12 5:19 am - CA
I had my vsg on feb 14 2012 and I has been imposible for me to get all liquids in, what I do is I try to write down the oz. I drink on all liquids, that gives my an idea of how much liquids I consume even if it's not the right amount.                   Because Isopure gives me a dry mouth sansation I mix it with crystal light or propel , half and half. I also mix Fiber One  light or nonfat yogurt with water to make it thinner wich I enjoy very much.
emelar
on 2/23/12 6:00 am - TX
Try different temperatures.  I tend to drink more hot or room temp liquids - they just seem to go down better.  Some people have to drink cold.

Infuse your water.  Fill a pitcher of water and add cucumber or lemon slices (or both) and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  The cucumber/lemon (or whatever else you want to throw in there) changes the Ph of the water and makes it go down a lot easier.

Other choices - mio, crystal light, any of the "zero" drinks (Sobe Zero, Vitamin Water Zero, Powerade Zero, etc.), tea, SF popsicles.

And, yeah, you have to work at it in the beginning.  Keep a glass of something by your side at all times!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views