SODA

tdorsett
on 2/1/12 9:00 am - virginia beach, VA
Will I ever be able to drink a soda again? Does this include zero calorie and zero suger sparkling water? Please explain ? I'm 4 weeks out..
Texasky
on 2/1/12 9:05 am
hi, it has todo with the carbination
kahlana
on 2/1/12 9:11 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
From what I read the carbonation is not good for your sleeve. Apparently it can stretch it. I'm thankful I wasn't a big soda drinker to start with so it won't be terribly missed. Besides at this point I would think the focus should be on how much water and other healthy fluids you can get in. But then I am only a week out so I could be way off base.

My Blog My Facebook

suitebliss
on 2/1/12 9:12 am - Southfield, MI
VSG on 03/01/12
I heard no, but seeing that I'm so addicted to soda/pop today is my first day without.  I keep on reading that its so bad for you, but I love it so much.
HogRider
on 2/1/12 9:25 am - Jacksonville, FL
Carbonation at these levels is NOT going to stretch your sleeve. Over eating will. I am 4 months out and drink soda. You burp if there is too much carbonation.....you cannot drink enough carbonated drinks to stretch your sleeve. You will burp first. Doctors tell you not to do many things and blame it on the sleeve. All they are doing is trying to change your behavior based on fear. You have the choice to do what they say or educate yourself and make informed decisions.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
DarleneR
on 2/1/12 9:51 am
I waited until 1 year post op before I started drinking it again and I drink it regularly now.

HW/SW/GW/CW
296/277/180/185.6
sleevegirl
on 2/1/12 9:55 am - Austin, TX
Soda is so bad for you, in general. I was a HARDCORE diet coke drinker. I had to quit cold turkey (let me tell you, I was a raving ***** for that week). I haven't really had it since. I did drink some without thinking one day and OMG, it hurt so bad. I'm scared to try it again and honestly... I don't miss it. I will have a cup of coffee here and there now (I'm cold all the time anyway, so it warms me up). But after the pain... no, not going to do it.

If you can, just quit it forever. I know... I KNOW. But trust me, if I can give them up... anyone can.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Mike B.
on 2/1/12 10:08 am
My doctor said to stay away from soda after surgery. My thinking is this, if my doctor said to avoid it, I must try and avoid it. I know some people who have gone back to drinking soda after surgery and nothing bad has happened. However, I also see some of their bad habits coming back a little at a time, so be careful. Ask yourself this question, Did I go through what I went through to lose all this weight just to start packing it back on again? Go have a nice cold drink of water.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

pedirn06
on 2/1/12 10:37 am
VSG on 01/26/12
As far as carbination stretching a sleeve, I cannot see how it could do that any worse than the gas you already get.  Anything in excess is not good.....even water.  I am finding out my taste has changed since surgery - I loved cheese and now it taste so salty(kinda makes me sad).  I used to hate hot tea, now I LOVE it. .....It will be a while before I try the carbinated beverages for sure.  IMO  it is other things in relation to diet sodas that are not "good for  you".
Jasonm11
on 2/1/12 10:15 am
I do drink diet Dr. Pepper. I won't(can't) have it around meals but during the day, will have one a few times a week. A can or bottle will last me atleast a few hours. For that reason, I pour it over ice in small amounts in a small cup. Else,it just gets hot and nasty. I let it fizz a while before drinking to get the bulk of the instantly released gas out.

My reading says that no, you won't stretch your stomach due to carbonation at reaosnable levels. After 6 months of having diet sodas I can tell you my restirction is just as strong today, nearing one year as it was at 6months. That only addresses the carbonation though.

Study after study I found tells me diet soda and in turn artifical sweeteners are bad. However, I look at it as, if I was going to be drinking crystal light, I would getting the artifical sweetener anyway, so why use that as an excuse to not drink soda. Most people ignore that aspartame is in both diet soda and diet non carbonated drinks. So that was essentially a non issue, even though I do feel that aspartame is generally bad due to it chemically being turned into dangerous chemicals by your body.

My opinion is solely based on my research and should be taken as a non doctor's opinion. Do your owwn research and come to your own conclusion.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views