How am I going to get through this?

MichelleChoinski
on 1/15/12 10:42 pm - NY
So I have to start my liquid diet and get sleeved in 2 1/2 weeks.
I have no idea how I am going to get through it all.
Liquid Diet.......need I say more?
Surgery
Recovery
After surgery
New eating habits etc..........

It is all becoming a true realization that this is happing and I am so scared.  I feel all alone.  I know I'm not but I just feel that way.

What is a girl to do?

Virtual hugs anyone?  I need one bad!!!!!!!
Layla1926
on 1/15/12 10:47 pm
 I'm starting my liquid diet today and I get sleeved next Monday.  Hang in there and take it day by day.  I say that now but I've only been up for 2 hours do its easy so far lol!

Best of luck!

Cindy22706
on 1/15/12 10:49 pm - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12

I think by you worrying about it and focusing on it your going to realize how hungry you are all the time and how depressed you get by not eating food. When you start it, you should try to find something to do to keep your mind busy and off of the food that you want.

Thats what I will do when I start mine. Being bored and noticing hunger constantly isnt going to help. Just try not to think about it!

scalewarfare11
on 1/15/12 11:01 pm
VSG on 08/22/11 with
You'll look back a few months from now and say, you know what, it sucked, but I survived :)  You can do it.  You really can.  Then youre life will change forever in SO many positive ways.  For me at least, the two week liquid diet wasnt fun, but I knew it was the start of my journey to a life time of health and feeling better and better everyday.

The week or two after surgery isnt exactly a field day.  Some people jump right back up, others take a bit longer.  Follow your doctors plan, and know that you will suddenly just start feeling better everyday.  I'm by no means a vet on here, but my only regret with VSG is that I didnt do it sooner.  I have an amazing amount of energy, I dont spend my life focused on food, I get bored now just sitting around, I am not constantly craving something, I LOVE to exercise.  

Big virtual hug, you WILL get through the next couple of weeks and then you will be SO happy that you did.  Just keep looking forward to the next day and suddenly you'll be living your new life!
Blog: http://adauntingtaleofscalewarfare.com
Surgery Date:
8/22/2011
with Dr. Moazzez of Blue Point Surgical Group

Daisy_Rose
on 1/15/12 11:15 pm
 One day at a time... One day at a time... one decision at a time... make a calendar or schedule of what to eat, when to eat and organize your life.  There's an old line, "How do you eat an elephant?... One bite at a time."  it can be overwhelming.... break it down into manageable bites/pieces.  

Deep breath... virtual hug and ... been there... I understand.

rhearob
on 1/15/12 11:19 pm - TN
 The liquids and mashies are like the pain of childbirth, so I here, lol.  Once you're on the other side and losing - you won't ever think about it again.  

Congrats on taking these steps for ourself.  It shows an incredible amount of strength already and we are all proud of you and here fo you.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Happy966
on 1/15/12 11:41 pm

(((Hugs!!)))

These are very normal fears.  I remember sitting in the waiting room getting ready for one of my pre-op tests and wanting to burst into tears.  In a very real sense we *are* alone on this journey, and it is a leap of faith.  On the other hand, there are many of us "on the other side" that are have been where you are and made it through.  You will, too!

You cannot imagine how normal I feel 4-1/2 months later.  Meaning, my new way of eating is very natural to me, I don't "feel" strange on the inside, I just eat a lot less. 

My recovery was easy-peasy.  Not everyone has the same experience, but many people do and it's fine to expect it for yourself.  I was sore for about 10 days, but quickly back to my old self in 5-6 weeks (I mean pretty much 100%). 

I can hardly remember progressing through food stages.  It fades quickly, and it wasn't that unpleasant to begin with!  Kind of exciting.

Now, let me say that new habits after surgery are the real work of what's happening here.  We get this little repreive from the tyranny of food, and we need to use it to our advantage.  I could eat 2000 calories of crap food a day if I wanted, and for me, the big work is keeping my focus on sane eating.  I think it's *much* easier post surgery and I think you'll feel the same way.

Good luck!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

phine_20
on 1/15/12 11:45 pm - GA
The preop liquid diet was the hardest part for me but I did it. If I can get through it, so can you. Just focus on the goal and you'll be through it in no time. (((Hugs)))
julesGA
on 1/15/12 11:58 pm - Brunswick, GA
 The pre-op diet is by far the worst partof the whole thing.  If you can get through the first three days then the rest is pretty easy saling.   

Surgery..well, you are asleep so it is a breeze! LOL   Recovery..for me only the first couple of days were rough.  After that it wasn't bad at all.  The new eating habits are easy to deal with too, really.  You can do this, no worries! 

Texdawg
on 1/16/12 1:16 am
VSG on 01/17/12
 I had same exact fear and today is my last day-- surgery tomorrow. My dr allowed sugar free Popsicles and they saved me. You can do it!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views