Band to Sleeve Revision Pre and Post Op Question Assistance Needed!

Vanessaps
on 1/11/12 11:45 am
Hello everyone,

I am planning to revise from the band to the sleeve within the next few months and I was wondering if you could help me formulate some pre and post questions to ask my surgeon. This surgeon is not the same surgeon that did my band.  He specializes in revisions as well as the other weight loss surgeries.

Thank you all for your help,

Vanessa
Hislady
on 1/11/12 1:21 pm - Vancouver, WA
I haven't been able to revise yet but just want to wish you the best of luck with your revsion and new life! There are lots of ex bandsters here so hopefully they will pop on soon.
Vanessaps
on 1/12/12 10:01 am
Hi Hislady,

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I wish you great success as you work towards your revision as well! I enjoy reading the postings on here. I've learned so much from you guys!  Take care!
camietam
on 1/11/12 1:32 pm - Ceres , CA
Vanessa,
I wasn't going to post then I thought you should know everything to any complication that could happen. I do not want to scare you from the surgery and remember we are all different. Read my blog from my first surgery Nov. 23. I had to get revised the Lap-Band caused me pain. I am better.
I would ask: What bougie (spelling?) size? I am 34. This is average. Does he perform both procedures at one time or wait 4 weeks between? Does he do an EGD at the end of the procedure to make sure the sleeve inside is smooth? If he sees scar tissue or adhesion's will he remove it all at the same time?
I not sure why your having the Band removed, but is there complication from the cause?
Good luck,
Camie

Camie

Vanessaps
on 1/12/12 10:17 am, edited 1/12/12 10:46 am
Hi Camie,

Thank you for sharing your story. It was very enlightening! This February, I will have had this band 3years. I lost 30lbs and gained all the weight back plus some. I've been having issues with slimming, vomiting, and basically trying to find food that would stay down. Sometimes I have to stand up to eat to keep my food from getting stuck in my chest. Doesn't work all the time though. Sometimes I have to stand up, raise my arms above my head, and take deep breaths to make the food go down so that I don't throw up.

During my initial consult last Friday, I asked him about the size bougie that he uses and he uses a 34F bougie. He says will take the saline out of my band on my pre-op visit and allow my stomach to heal for a month or so and them perform both precedures at the same time. He does check for leaks while you're still there by placing dye in the new stomach to check for leaks plus he does xrays. I will definitely ask him about removing any scar tissue that he may see.

Thank you so much for your kind words!
Vanessa
camietam
on 1/12/12 10:28 am - Ceres , CA
Good luck and keep us posted. If you have anymore post op question you can message me.
Camie

Vanessaps
on 1/12/12 10:50 am
Thank you so much! I will definitely do that! I need all the support I can get as I really don't have much support from my family!
A H.
on 1/11/12 1:46 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
My surgeon is the same one who did my band, that said these are a few questions I plan to ask him on Friday:

Bougie size and technique (resulting in approximately what volume of sleeve?)
Oversewing of stitches?

Doctor's specific, not averages based on studies:
    -Leak rate on VSG/ Band to VSG revision?
    -Complication rate on above or other complications
    -Causes?
    -Ever have narrowing problems, strictures with band to sleeve revision?
    -Deaths?
    -Do a leak test during surgery? If so how/what test?
    -How long should surgery typically be?

Will I have a drain?

How new is the equipment at Evergreen/St. Francis?
What pre-op testing do I have to do?

Is weight loss expected to be worse since I am a revision? Or, how much of my EWL should I expect to lose?
If for some reason down the road I am not successful and need to add the DS component, am I screwed by having a smaller volume sleeve or does it stretch out to the size it would need to be to eat enough to support a DS?

What is the pre op and post-op diet plans like?
What is the vitamin regime like?

These are the questions I have for him, and I've already had one grill session with him but at the time I was convinced I just wanted the band out and no revision. You must have questions you want answered? Hope it helps...

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Vanessaps
on 1/12/12 10:32 am
Hi Ubergrrl,

These are a great list of questions and I definitely plan use some of these questions. There are questions here that I've already asked during my consult last Friday and leaks was definitely one of them. He said he's had one leak out of hundreds of patients and that that leak was as a result of him using the 32F bougie. He said he learned from that leak that smaller is not the way to go because smaller bougies present more leaks which is why he changed to the 34F bougie. He also said the only other complication he's encountered was of a lady that had a hemorrage in which he had to admit her to the hospital, give her a blood transfusion, and she was able to go home after a couple of days.

I'm like you, THIS BAND HAS GOT TO COME OUT! I can't even go out to eat with family because i'm scared I might have to stand up to swallow or risk pewking my guts out in front of customers

Wishing you much success,
Vanessa
lanaph
on 1/11/12 4:59 pm - San Ysidro, CA
Mini Gastric Bypass on 07/05/09
I've know people that had to wait 4 months and I know people that had it done immediately.  The difference is scar tissue.  If you have problems with your band then you probably have to wait.  People that haven't had any problem with their band are the ones that can usually go straight from the band to the sleeve.  The doctor should do an endoscopy before to which would be best for you. I do work with a doctor in Mexico that performs this surgery on a daily basis. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views