pre surgery eating

princessleah613
on 12/31/11 10:28 am - PA
VSG on 01/19/12
 I am not at my pre surgery fast yet, and I am finding that I am eating more than usual. I think I am afraid that I will never eat again, so I am binging! Didf any one have this issue, and if so, what did you do? Help!

Leah

ruggie
on 12/31/11 10:47 am - Sacramento, CA
 I think pretty much everyone has this issue!

Most people have a food funeral where they say goodbye to all the food they love by eating it all before surgery. A lot of people report being happy with this.

Im in the minority, and suggest not participating and not binging. You need to know that you're capable of following a VSG diet plan, and binging consent set up that mentality. Plus, now, today, this second, this very moment is the time to stop letting food drive so much of our behavior, not two weeks after surgery. I couldn't feel serious about my surgery if I knew I was "behaving badly" rig before I had my guts rearranged. 

But like I said, I'm in the minority, some people get closure from it (a good thing indeed) while others have maximized their love of food- feeling that this is the one time in their life where they can really go whole hog and pig out, and awake from surgery still dealing with their love off food. I've seen both scenarios happen. I guess my real answer if to know who you are - the person getting closure or the person using it as an enabling excuse?

whatever you decide, good luck on your surgery and we'll see you on the loser's bench!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

princessleah613
on 12/31/11 10:52 am - PA
VSG on 01/19/12
 thank you for your honesty
newgrandmother11
on 12/31/11 10:49 am
i myself am getting confused. i read a lot online about  the surgery before during after and i am confused man.
happyteacher
on 12/31/11 10:51 am
 I had a burger and fries.  Oddly enough, normally I would never crave that either.  I was not excessive about it, but boy did I feel emotionally terrible after that.  And vunerable to continue the poor choices.  Fortunately a few people posted some advice, it really hit home, and that was the end of it.  Ended up losing a decent little chunck of fat funk going into the surgery as a result, and gained a new perspective and insight along the way.  Next year on my surgiversary I am buying the meal, then set the damn thing on fire to celebrate my better choices and hopefully substantial weight loss :) 

Not saying you should do it or not.  Looking back I feel lucky I was able to reign it in- very difficult for me at the time. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

MargeAD
on 12/31/11 11:34 am - CA
I gained before I lost but I think it took that for me to commit to my new life.
LISA C.
on 12/31/11 12:31 pm - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
Oh thank god I'm not the only one!  I'm scheduled for surgery on 2/22 and feel like I've been eating evierything not nailed down.  I keep thinking that I'm entitled since I won't be able to do that after surgery. Well, I had a long talk with myself tonight and that behavior is over.  For me, and this is of course different for everyone, It's just me enabling myself and rationalizing and that is exactly the crap (sorry) that got me to this point to begin with. So, while I can't say I'll never slip up, my focus from here on in is eating healthy and less to prepare me for the surgery.

Won't be easy, but either is living this way.

Newjourney12
on 12/31/11 1:56 pm
 I think everyone handles this time differently.  However, the one thing that you need to remember is that part of losing  some weight beforehand is for your own benefit.  I know that my doctor recommended  that I lose weight so that I didn't have a fatty liver that he'd have to work around.  Plus, getting into the mindset that this will be a lifestyle and not a diet takes time to internalize.  So much of the success of this tool is mental so now is the time to start.

Good luck and I am confident that you'll make the best choice for yourself.  Remember though, you will get to eat food again you'll just need to make healthier choices.
sleevegirl
on 12/31/11 2:02 pm - Austin, TX
Brutal honesty here...

For the two weeks before my two week pre op, I think I ate 3 meals per day out hitting all my faves. It was insane and not attractive. I ate anything that wasn't nailed down. After that, I've stuck pretty much with the program. I gained 5 pounds in those 2 weeks, then lost 20 with the pre op diet. I'm 111 from that highest weight, now 6 months later.

Was it necessary? No. Was it destructive? Maybe. Was it constructive? Maybe. I honestly don't know. It happened. I don't regret it. It got it out of my system and put me into the mindset that *I* needed to be in.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

princessleah613
on 12/31/11 3:11 pm - PA
VSG on 01/19/12
 Thanks Candy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 429 views