may just be my first complaining topic...

Jasonm11
on 12/30/11 10:04 pm
And now that I am typing it I am remembering how much I hate complaining.....

so I'll only ask a question.....do any others have such problem taking vitamins and calcium.  They make my stomach really, really queasy....unless I eat something about 10 minutes before taking them and then follow up with something else about 10 minutes after.  Any deviation from that makes my stomach turn.  Any ideas?

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 10:09 pm - GA
Hey Jason,

I very much had this probem! I was taking bariatric advantage French vanilla multi vitamins twice a day. It didn't matter if I had eaten before or after taken them, they had me on my back SICK!

So I just started taking the adult one a day gummies, in the red bottle. I did a bottle to bottle comparison of the nutrients and taking 4 gummies a day gives me the same amount if nutrients as 2 if the BA vites! These taste great and DO NOT make me sick, yay!

For calcium I am still taking the BA calcium chews and they are quite yummy.

I hope this helps.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 12/30/11 10:12 pm
Be careful with the gummies.  It's my understanding that they don't break down or get absorbed quite the same with our new stomach.  Make sure your surgeon is onboard with you taking gummies. 
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
imchatti
on 12/30/11 10:09 pm - NJ
I have always had to take my vitamins with food, otherwise I throw up.  When I was pregnant I took chewable vitamins because they were easier on my stomach, but I still took them with food.  Post VSG I obviously take chewables, but still take them after my meal.  Vitamins are just hard on a tummy - altered or not. 

VeronicaJ5
on 12/30/11 10:13 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
You gotta take them with food .. I told my surgeon about that and in so many words he told me to suck it up cupcake! Calcium pills always made me sick I take the chews.
Krazydoglady
on 12/30/11 10:22 pm - FL
Yup. I have a very difficult time even with chewables.  I take a centrum chewable multi 2x daily, and I don't take calcium as regularly as I should -- generally. Before the drumbeat of opposition starts, I am conscious of calcium and I skew my diet toward calcium rich foods as a result.  For example, I eat swiss cheese almost every day.  2oz of swiss has 50% of your daily calcium needs in food form which is more absorbable than the mineral forms (citrate, carbonate) that come from supplements. When I do take calcium, i take food-based calcium capsule (not tablet or chewable) that's made from seaweed, basically.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Jasonm11
on 12/30/11 10:26 pm
Cheese is where I have been getting all my calcium(or measured calcium) since the calcium seem to be what hurts the worst.  Vitamins I have been doing specific fruits and leafy greens.  But I know it isn't as complete as I need it to be.

Jasonm11
on 12/30/11 10:24 pm
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. As for the chewables not absorbing, I'd imagine it is better than taking none, which is what I have been doing for a while now, though I have been increasing specific foods that contain much of the nutrients and vitamins I need but its difficult to eat those same things daily to meet what I need. I really doubt I have ever hit what I need.

Like for example, this morning, I popped my 1 multi, 2 calcium, 3 small vitamin d's and a protonix. Then left for the grocery store and got an egg from the deli for breakfast. By the time I got back home, 15 minutes, I was ready to puke and it only got worse as I ate it.

Just frustrating because I do know how important the vitamins and nutrients are but the stomach sickness from them sucks....

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 10:46 pm - GA
I totally understand as you can see from my PP, but maybe you need to seperate when you take them? That's what I had to do. I take my multi's with food and the calcium chews I can eat 3 on an empty stomach, they are really like candy, LOL. I also take biotin and I can take that on an empty stomach. I tried one time taking them all at one time and I was MISERABLE! Maybe take half at breakfast, other half at dinner? Best of luck to you.
Jasonm11
on 12/30/11 11:06 pm
I did once try seperate them but even when I take a single calcium, it makes me sick.  So when I do take them, I take all at once.  I can make it to where I don't get sick if I time the food just perfectly but that is difficult to do.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views