Is this normal?

Rcool
on 12/29/11 6:27 am
I just began the puree/mushee stage.  This morning I ate 1/2 cup of cream of wheat with protein powder in it. for lunch I had a 1/2 cup of fat free refried beans & for dinner I had a 1/2cup of blended chicken ( added broth to make it moist) with a dab of mayo on it and  baby food green beans.
I have been doing pretty well, my only complaint is, I have this feeling like something is stuck in my throat all the time. I have had this since my surgery. Tonight after I ate the chicken I got the stuck in my throat feeling really bad  & I had some pain in my left side. It felt like muscle spasms in my stomach, it was really weird!  I don't feel nauseous or anything but I feel very uncomfortable. Am I doing something wrong or is this to be expected?
rhidunn
on 12/29/11 6:35 am - Annapolis, MD
Uncomfortable and painful shouldn't be expected.  Are you taking really small bites, chewing (even the mushy stuff) and waiting long enough between bites?  At +3 years I still can't eat chicken without getting that "stuck" feeling.  I used a baby spoon for the first 6-8 months and an egg timer to make sure I was waiting 3-5 minutes between bites. 

Rcool
on 12/29/11 6:48 am
I'm eating really small bites & chewing them but I may be eating too fast.

Talmani
on 12/29/11 6:53 am - Phoenixville, PA
I met with my nut today and she told me I don't have to eat everything that I make - if I can't finish in 30 mins to give up. I have been forcing my self to finish and often felt like you with food stuck in my throat. So I am going to try that. She also recommends only introducing one new food a day so that I can tell what is bothering me.
Highest weight 265/ Surgery weight 256/ Goal weight 160   
Rcool
on 12/29/11 7:01 am
I can't finish my food either. I like the idea of introducing one new food a day, thank you. :)

hollykim
on 12/29/11 7:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Those are also signs that you are too full. 1/2 cup may be too much right now,esp with chicken. Try 1/3 cup for a few meals and see if that makes a difference.

Gl

Rcool
on 12/29/11 7:56 am
That's what I thought. I will try that. thank you. :)

rhidunn
on 12/29/11 9:17 am - Annapolis, MD
 I do highly recommend using the timer - especially when you get into more solid/dense foods.  It is amazing how long 3-5 minutes feels when you are sitting at the table.  I found that to be more helpful than anything else.  Especially when/if you are eating with others you just kind of go into auto pilot and then your food is gone and you hurt.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views