buying clothes in smaller sizes? good or bad idea?

brenda B.
on 12/20/11 11:49 pm - MI
I am 1 week postop, YAY losers bench!!
Question- Did anyone buy clothes in smaller sizes with the hopes of getting to that size? Or sizes that will be in transition if you've found good bargains? I went to our local goodwill for the first time and found a pair of silvers and another really nice pair of jeans for 5$! they were a 12 and 14. I am pretty sure I'll get to that size? I'm size 22 right now.
Any ladies find a hot goal dress and buy it?
I love bargains and our TJMaxx has some really awesome sales and cool vintage stuff..

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Thank you!

Brenda
5'8, 25 years old, registered nurse Emergency Department-nights
HW:310, PreopW:305, SW: 290 CW:234.2 GW: 180-weigh in wednesdays
Surgery December 14th 2011. 15 pounds lost preop
1st month: 21 pounds
George B.
on 12/20/11 11:58 pm - Miami, FL
Brenda,

It's a GREAT idea!

If you find clothes on sale now in smaller sizes buy them because they'll come in handy when you're losing weight and at your goal weight. 

Soon post-op my wife bought me a pair of size 36 jeans and I got angry  because I thought I would never get to that size, at that point I was a size 48. A few months later I was wearing size 34.

Have fun shopping for smaller clothes.

George

UnRuli
on 12/21/11 12:02 am - Plainwell, MI
 I bought smaller sizes and hung on to them when good deals came around.   I thought for sure I'd never fit in to a size 6, but I liked the jeans and figured they'd be a good goal. 

I just put those jeans in the Goodwill pile because they're.......TOO BIG now, but I wore the heck out of 'em when they fit!

I say go for it!
USAF Wife
on 12/21/11 12:11 am
It's great in theory, and yep, I did it.

Problem was that once I dropped out of the plus sizes, and below 190lbs, the sizes started dropping super fast. I completely skipped over size 12s, I was only in a size 14 for a couple of weeks even though I was super close to goal, I was dropping inches like crazy. I didn't get a lot of wear out of many of my clothes because I shed sizes so fast.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Ashley O.
on 12/21/11 12:14 am
I did. a couple things, anyway. I'm trying not to buy much because i don't stay in the sizes very long. but if i find something for a good deal,i'll get it.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

brenda B.
on 12/21/11 12:20 am - MI
Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I will pick up a few things for transition and not invest too much money, But I LOVE fashion and if I can get some hot vintage or classic style pieces to get me through I think I will!
My only concern is what if i never get to a size 12? I'm sure I can, but I was a size 18 in 5th grade so it just blows my mind that people can go from a size 22/24 to a size 4...
Whats the smallest size you would buy?

Thanks again everyone!

Brenda
5'8, 25 years old, registered nurse Emergency Department-nights
HW:310, PreopW:305, SW: 290 CW:234.2 GW: 180-weigh in wednesdays
Surgery December 14th 2011. 15 pounds lost preop
1st month: 21 pounds
Krazydoglady
on 12/21/11 12:39 am - FL
I went from a size 30 to a size 6 and I'm not done yet.  Don't sell yourself short.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Mom4Jazz
on 12/21/11 1:00 am
Been there, done that. I weighed well over 200 lbs in elementary school and never got below again until November, 40 years later. I am now just going into a 12.

I buy one size down - once I get into a size, I don't buy it any more but buy the next size down. I'll need to stop that now that I'm close to goal and wait to see where my body settles, but that's been my procedure up to now.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

USAF Wife
on 12/21/11 1:27 am
On December 21, 2011 at 8:20 AM Pacific Time, brenda B. wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I will pick up a few things for transition and not invest too much money, But I LOVE fashion and if I can get some hot vintage or classic style pieces to get me through I think I will!
My only concern is what if i never get to a size 12? I'm sure I can, but I was a size 18 in 5th grade so it just blows my mind that people can go from a size 22/24 to a size 4...
Whats the smallest size you would buy?

Thanks again everyone!

Brenda
I would only buy 1-2 sizes smaller.

At 5'2", starting at 270lbs wearing a super tight 22/24W pant, in maintenance at 125-130lbs I wear a size 2 skinny jean(not currently because I'm working on getting my baby weight off and waiting for my body to go back to somewhat "normal" after having a baby 7 weeks ago).

I'm currently 142-144lbs, and wearing a sizes 8,10 and 11s. Small and medium tops still, but my ass is way bigger now than it ever was before. way rounder, bubbly and it only happened after Tatum made her glorious arrival in my uterus. I don't see if going down on it's own, and my skin has stretched back out after being in maintenance for a year before pregnancy. My skin and fat had rebounded and looked great. Now, it's completely wrecked and while everyone thinks I look phenomenal, I'm nowhere near where I was pre-baby. I gained 35lbs in the pregnancy, and have lost a lot of it, but damn if my body isn't totally wrecked again HA. Thank goodness I saved a few pairs of bigger jeans, but I did have to buy a couple of pairs because my others just weren't going up over my hips.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

acbbrown
on 12/21/11 12:21 am - Granada Hills, CA
I only bought a couple of things that were a really good deal and that I knew would work - but things like normal pants/shirts, I dont like to buy in advance, because sometimes they dont fit quite right. My body is losing weight in random places and some parts are shrinking faster than others so I cant predict what will look right.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 296 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 345 views