Accountability

LittleMissSunshine
on 12/16/11 3:04 am
I don't really have anything to say in this post, I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things... coming by here regularly was part of my success when I was on the ball, so even if I don't have much to contribute, I'm going to try to make a point to swing by and jump in where I can.

I guess if I had to make a point to this post, I'd just point out to the newbies and pre-ops that the sleeve is an outstanding tool... but that's all it is, a tool.  The same head issues that plagued you before the surgery will still be there after you've healed and have been cleared for regular foods, so be prepared to battle those demons... they'll be waiting for you.

I was super strict with myself from January on of last year thanks to the pre-op diets, first for the lapband (which I never got) and then for the VSG (after I changed my mind).  I didn't slip up once post-op while I was going through the liquids, mushies and soft foods phases mainly because I didn't want to risk a leak.

Once I got the go ahead to start experimenting with solids though, all hell broke loose.  I could have anything I wanted, and I did.  On the upside, I didn't gain at all (and I would have if I didn't have the sleeve to keep me in check).  On the downside, I stopped losing.

So that's where I am now... I've been off the proverbial wagon since August, hovering at the same weight since then, but now I'm working on reforming all those good habits I let fall by the wayside (prioritizing protein, exercise, etc).

Thanks for listening :).

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 3:10 am
Thank you for sharing. I keep thinking "well this isn't going to be so bad..." since I don't have ANY hunger... but I'm only a few freakin days out! I do wonder what is going to happen when I can get ahold of some real food but I do wonder how there can be no weightloss with a little baby stomach. Even if we eat the same food we did before, we're eating so much less with the little stomach, shouldn't there be something more than just maintaining the weight we are? That seems crazy so me! And if that is common, that's probably a misconception a lot of people new to this have.
LittleMissSunshine
on 12/16/11 3:33 am
That's the thing... the physical hunger isn't really there even now, it's the eating because I want to, or because I'm bored, or stressed, or angry, or sad that's the problem.  The old patterns are still there, especially so if you let yourself get sucked back into the carb craving vortex... and I did.

Amazingly though, I have just maintained despite eating all the wrong things.   You name it... McDonalds, cupcakes, ice cream... the works, yet I haven't gained a pound because I can't eat like i could before.  Back in the day, I could polish off a big mac, large fries, 2 apple pies, a large coke and could probably go back for more soon after.  Now, I pull off the middle bun from the big mac (that's bulk I don't need), eat about a quarter to a half of it, have maybe 5-10 french fries and I'm stuffed.  I'm so thankful I was able to have this surgery because it keeps me from spiraling out of control.

Well, no... it doesn't keep me from spiraliing out of control, but it keeps me from being able to do the damage I was able to before.  If I had just been dieting from January through August and then fell off the wagon, I would have gained back 40 of the 80+ lbs I've lost so far... not a doubt in my mind (been there, done that before). The fact that I've just maintained blows my mind!

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now... getting back in control.  Hopefully reading about my struggles will be helpful to others when they run across similar situations.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 3:36 am
I totally appreciate it. I don't hear about too many people struggling like this and it reminds me that I'm human when I fall off the wagon. You're right that the good thing with this surgery is that you can get right back on without having done damage instead of putting it all back on. I'm glad you're back and you're going to make progress towards your goal :)
Ohcam
on 12/16/11 4:01 am
To echo LittleMissSunshine, for 6mo or so, your appetite is 0. The sensation of hunger will return eventually, but no where near pre-op levels. But head hunger remains an issue for most. Its a constant uphill battle. I am learning to recognize when I am eating simply to eat (for whatever reasons other than actual hunger). And I am dealing with it accordingly. 

But its totally possible to gain, even with a reduced stomach; the sleeve prevents overindulgence, it does not negate what you put through the system for processing. Like LittleMiss said, I am so thankful that despite my regression, I haven't gained weight and I still maintain a degree of control. But the situation is a reminder that you have to meet your tool halfway. And that understanding is 3/4 of the battle--you just get back on the wagon, and work the sleeve! 

we can do this guys! :)

hollykim
on 12/16/11 4:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
">>>I do wonder how there can be no weight loss with with a little baby stomach. Even if we eat the same stuff we did before,we're eating so much less than before..."

There are a very few people for whom this type of eating worked and they lost quickly and got to goal quickly and have had no trouble maintaining. The people for whom this  thought was successful didn't have disordered eating...they just ate a LOT,so this worked for them when they began eating MUCH less.

For the rest of us,myself included,eating disorders keep this premise from working for us. Eating our emotions,carb addiction,binging...all these eating disorders work against the "eating so much less" theory. Our metabolisms are shot from years of yo-yo dieting and if our metabolisms aren't working,we can eat nearly nothing and the best we will do is maintain. it is possible to lose.but it is often very difficult.

personally,I was doing great till about 6 months out and went on vacation and let some carbs back in. I am STILL trying to reach goal about 16 months after that little vacation episode.

For some reason our bodies are MASTERS of holding onto every calorie we put in there and it is very hard to change that.

Also,you have the 6 months to 1 year "honeymoon period: where almost everyone loses and loses well,NO MATTER what they are eating. The problem with this is that when the Honeymoon is over we still want to eat just like we were and when we stop losing we are confused with what is the problem.

My best, most honest and experience led advice to you? Hit the weight loss HARD from day one. Make the MOST of your honeymoon period. Don't be so quick to HAVE to try bread or rice or tortillas or ANYTHING but protein.

The food IS going to be there after you reach goal. You WILL likely be able to eat most anything in moderation after goal.

The vets who have been MOST successful with reaching goal quickly followed this protocol.

I,personally,would give much if I had followed this protocol too. I would have been at goal a LOOONG time ago,instead of pushing two years out and still being 50 # away from goal.

trayb17
on 12/16/11 3:24 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I am glad you posted this. I get sleeved on Jan. 5th and I will need to keep reminding myself that dealing with my food issues will require my constant attention and that surgery is not a cure all. Thanks!
Ohcam
on 12/16/11 3:44 am
Excellent post! I am going through the same thing too: at around 5mo out, I began to fall off the wagon. I stopped recording caloric intake, started grazing a little bit, and rediscovered some slider foods(I had a nasty little affair with popcorn just recently). I didn't gained, but I was hovering around 175lbs for a good while. The wake up call was when I hit my 7mo surgiversary (Dec 5) and still needed to lose about 34lbs (to reach my goal). So I kicked my game back into gear. I went back to basics: 600-800kcal, >70g protein,
 HW: 332  PrOW: 285 SW:266  CW:149 GW:140  5'3" 27
   LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Ohcam
on 12/16/11 3:46 am
...got cut off!! ARRG!!

anyway I went back to basics. Sunday weighed in at 173lbs, today I weighed in at 167lbs!!

....but LittleMissSunshine, I'm right there with you! Let's get back in the game together (we have to represent for the May sleevers!!)! And come back to OH more often!
 HW: 332  PrOW: 285 SW:266  CW:149 GW:140  5'3" 27
   LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Ms. Poker Face
on 12/16/11 3:54 am, edited 12/16/11 3:55 am
You are so right!

For a food hound like me, the head stuff is totally separate from the stomach surgery. I'm not hungry, but I still WANT food and love the taste and find myself going to the kitchen for no reason. And I let the carbs creep back in (detoxing at the moment... see my post from two days ago). I haven't stalled from this per-se, but I want to nip all that bad habit crap in the bud, otherwise it'll get me. I truly am trying to make a lifestyle change along with having the Sleeve. So critical for long term success as far as I'm concerned.

Like you, I didn't cheat on my preop diet, nor any of the liquid/pureed/mushie/soft phases after surgery. Once I hit regular foods, I slowly added things back. But as I added back some of the carbs, I craved more of them. And it's a viscious cycle unless you immediately and completely get it back under control (if you're like me).

So I also added counseling to the mix. I'm learning all kinds of good stuff about why and when I eat for no good reason. Hopefully now I can implement some good fixes, other than white-nuckling it with willpower (which is what made me fat after yo-yo dieting).

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views