hormonal changes?

dutchdoll
on 9/11/11 2:09 pm - dallas, TX
VSG on 01/27/11 with
I have always had a high sex drive, but now it seems like i want it 24/7. it is almost a curse at this point. so i want to know if anyone else has had this? is it due to the weight loss?
If my husband loses weight, will he have more desire also? Help please
Ht 5' 9"   HW=397   SW= 374   CW=276.5   GW=185                     
Amberbear31
on 9/11/11 2:19 pm - Federal Way, WA
from my experience through 2 WLS (band and now SG) the same happened... i was told(blah blah blah) that as you lose the fat, the hormones stored in fat are released which can cause higher drive, crying spells, agitation, less sleep, etc.
Amber

Band Removed 6/17/08
Sleeve gastrectomy 6/27/11
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 2:23 pm
It seems it can go both ways.. I never had any of the negative hormonal effects like PMSy symptoms, other than very heavy and painful periods for a few months.. Whether by timing or me starting to supplement with 1000mg Evening Primrose oil.. that stopped, thankfully. I highly recommend it.

My sex drive is def higher, partly I think because I feel better and it's more comfortable and I'm more mobile. I also feel better about myself, and that is sure to help. Not sure about men and their reaction, but from the stuff I read here, they are just as if not more interested as they lose as well. 

I have read of a few where the sex drive fizzled for a while, but it seems eventually to come back.. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 2:35 pm
I hate to tell you this, but it gets so much "worse" at goal.  :) 
Yes, this does have to do with hormonal changes from the hormones that have been stored in your fat, but also, you own self-image has changed.  If your husband losses weight, he too is likely to want to get more physical.  It is just so much easier when you are lighter and when you can really MOVE. 
Carly ~
on 9/11/11 3:52 pm
 Here's a cool article on hormonal changes with weight loss/gain and the medical reasons for it!
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56044

From the article:
The more body fat you have, the higher your levels of a natural chemical known as SHBG (short for sex hormone binding globulin). It's aptly named because it binds to the sex hormone testosterone. Doctors theorize that the more testosterone that is bound to SHBG, the less there is available to stimulate desire.

It's two pages, so if it interests you, continue reading page two at the bottom!

I'm still a really big girl, but have lost 60 lbs since my surgery late June.   I'm doing double-takes at men, I'm starting to crave/think about sex often.   It feels like Spring!  lol

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 257 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 323 views