NSAID's????

ready2Bhealthy2
on 9/2/11 6:53 am

I met with a NUT this week (I thought her specialty was nutrition not meds...but ok) and she told me that I need to get off all of my NSAID's.  I was perplexed because I was under the impression that this surgery allowed for the ocntinued use of them.  I still going through with the surgery regardless, but I have a couple of questions.

Are we allowed to take NSAID's?

Do you have any written material to back up the use of them?

HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Birdie55
on 9/2/11 7:09 am
My surgeon had me stop NSAIDS two weeks before surgery because they can thin the blood.  I was able to resume them after surgery...I think I waited a month but he might have allowed them sooner.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

MistyM
on 9/2/11 7:11 am, edited 9/2/11 7:13 am - Eufaula, OK
VSG on 06/26/12
This actually came up in support group I attended last night. My surgeon wants no NSAID for 2 weeks before and after surgery. However, after that they can be taken if needed. He did say that it could also be a case by case issue,that some patients may need to stay off of them longer or even indefinitely ,but generally speaking yes they are usually ok with the sleeve and that's why patients with arthritis ,chronic pain,etc.,tend to choose sleeve over other surgeries. Most of what I have read says they are perfectly safe,but just to confirm,you should ask your surgeon .

Month 1= 19#     Month 2=11#    Month3=8#  Month 4 =10#

RosemerryOhio
on 9/2/11 7:17 am
I was on NSAIDs on & off for three months prior to my surgery because of back pain.  I took
myself off of them because the NSAIDs  weren't working for me.  During surgery, my doctor found my
stomach FULL of ulcers.  They put me on Prilosec right away in December of 2010.  In Feb of 2011,
I had a scope put down into my stomach (I was asleep) to check to see if the ulcers were still
there & they were gone.  I did continue to take the Prilose****il mid March of 2011.   The doctor
told me the ulcers came from the NSAIDs.   I will no longer ever take NSAIDs again.  I take regular
aspirin if I need anything for pain. 

I have no idea if we're allowed to take them but I know I never, ever will.

Seldern
on 9/2/11 7:49 am - Belmont , NC
On September 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM Pacific Time, RosemerryOhio wrote:
I was on NSAIDs on & off for three months prior to my surgery because of back pain.  I took
myself off of them because the NSAIDs  weren't working for me.  During surgery, my doctor found my
stomach FULL of ulcers.  They put me on Prilosec right away in December of 2010.  In Feb of 2011,
I had a scope put down into my stomach (I was asleep) to check to see if the ulcers were still
there & they were gone.  I did continue to take the Prilose****il mid March of 2011.   The doctor
told me the ulcers came from the NSAIDs.   I will no longer ever take NSAIDs again.  I take regular
aspirin if I need anything for pain. 

I have no idea if we're allowed to take them but I know I never, ever will.
Asprin is a NSAID
SARAH VSG 8-29-2011

doggz109
on 9/2/11 6:42 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Uhhh yeah.....you do know that Aspirin is an NSAID right?
lanunes
on 9/2/11 7:50 am - CA
 My surgeon request you not take them for 1 month before surgery and can't resume until 1 month post surge. He even sates in the paperwork that taking them will result in cancellation of your surgery. Even at one month post surgery you should only take small amounts until your stomach is fully healed...6-8 weeks. Nsaids can cause stomach ulcers and that is why you need to stop them before surgery and especially after surgery since your tummy is not healed. 
      Leslie Nunes              
MsBatt
on 9/2/11 3:07 pm
Like pretty much ALL medications, NSAIDs are not 100% safe for ANYONE. Each person needs to weigh the risks against the benefits.

The reason NSAIDs are such a no-no with the RNY is because they have that huge remnant stomach that can only be 'scoped with special equipment. With a VSG, that's not an issue.

NSAIDs thin the mucosal lining of the stomach, which sometimes allows the stomach's own acid to cause damage. Some doctors feel the regular use of NSAIDs leads to ulcers. Other doctors disagree. (Most ulcers are caused by the H.pylori bacteria.)

I chose the DS because I wanted a fully-functional stomach that would allow me to take the NSAIDs I knew I would always need for my arthritis. I did stop them two weeks before surgery, and for the month following surgery I was only allows ONE Aleve per day.

That was almost eight years ago, and I normally take Aleve three times EVERY DAY. No stomach problems of any kind so far.
RosemerryOhio
on 9/3/11 12:27 am

OMGosh everyone *****ad my posting!   We're so use to saying aspirin around my house when someone decides to take a pain reliever.

I DO NOT take aspirin but Extra Strength Tylenol liquid!   

MsBatt
on 9/3/11 11:32 am
After WLS, you may find that Tylenol doesn't work for you. (Depending on which form of WLS you choose.)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views