1 year surgiversary and only halfway to goal - has anyone else made goal like this?

biologygrrrl
on 8/1/11 9:41 am - Rhinelander, WI
My 1 year surgiversary is this week, and I am only halfway to goal. Between months 6-10 I completely stalled, mostly because of eating too many carbs. I am losing again, but just as I upped my activity level at the gym, I got a hernia and haven't been able to exercise like I want to so the loss is slow. My hernia surgery is this week and I won't be able to exercise again for about 2 weeks.

Anyways, is there anyone else out there that was only halfway or so to goal at one year that still made it to goal? A friend of mine is already saying I will probably need a revision to the DS if I want to get to goal. Sigh.

JenniferI'm 5'4" ~ HW: 308   SW: 305   CW: 211   GW: 140     

Lori B.
on 8/1/11 10:43 am
Well, DSrs don't lose eating carbs either so I think unless you cut back on them while in losing phase you are going to be stuck no matter what.

You know what you have to do. Protein first and you will have little room for carbs. You can do it girl!

Good luck with you upcoming surgery.

Keep us posted.

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 11:07 am - Woodbridge, VA
Most patients never reach "goal" (assuming, by goal, you mean 100% EWL). 50% EWL is conidered a successful surgery. I believe average EWL is somewhere around 80% (don't quote me on that, but I can tell you it's not 100%!).

My ultimate goal was 150, and I'm now in the 180s at 2 years and 4 months out. I doubt I'll ever see 150 on a scale. But that does not make me a failure, and it doesn't mean I need a revision.

After MONTHS of not losing any weight, I lost about another 20 pounds in 3 months starting at about a year and half out. Oh, and I've not really exercised at all since my surgery (not bragging, as I know I need to for general health and not just weight loss, but just saying that NOT being able to exercise isn't necessarily going to stop your progress). So, don't give up. Keep your protein up and your carbs down. And good luck with your upcoming surgery!
njmom5870
on 8/1/11 12:39 pm

Glad you are back on program.  Stick to it and you will SURELY get to goal.  I don't agree with previous post and most people not getting to goal.  I had lots of therapy and stuck to the program and I am 7 months out and 7 pounds from goal.  Yes, I had lots and lots of challenges.  I did go to a therapist who specializes in people with food issues and it really helped.  Keep to your rules and it will happen for you.  Good Luck

Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

Momager
on 8/1/11 12:58 pm
Hey! You're being too hard on yourself! You've done really well and are healthier. Focus on all the good changes you've made. You look incredible! I know you must feel better. Your little girls must be benefiting from the new you, too. I'm so sorry you've been through so much with the long stall and hernia, though. Good luck with your surgery this week. Kinda sucks you're having to have surgery on the 1-year anniversary of this surgery. You sure don't want to go through another one! I have pretty much stalled the last 3 months and didn't lose the amount I wanted to in a year, but I'm still working on this journey. After a year, I'll have to watch the carbs and calories more closely and keep up the exercise. VSG has been a superb gift, and we both probably wouldn't be where we are now (physically and emotionally) without this surgery. Hang in there and be proud of what you've accomplished. My goal was not to be skinny, but to have improved health and mobility --- plus, be ready to enjoy grandchildren one day. Good news!!! Grandson due in October! Hope good stuff is heading your way, too, soon!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 163 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 438 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views