Friend or Foe?

No More Spanx
on 7/11/11 6:01 am - Rock Island, IL
I am exactly one month out today (4 weeks).  According to my doctors plan I can be incorporating solid foods.  The only problem is....

I am afraid to eat.

During my last week of soft/mushie food stage I tried eggs w/cheese and blenderized chicken tortilla soup.  I feel uncomfortable pressure, like a stuck feeling in my chest after only a few very small bites.  Is this full?  With the soup I actually felt a little nausea after but it passed after a few hours.  IDK I am just not sure what my body is telling me so I have been reaching for my protein shakes and Nectar products instead of trying to eat.

Am I nuts, sick or just full? 

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

jmyersking
on 7/11/11 6:05 am - Davenport, IA
I was that way too.  I find that I have to drink water first thing it the morning.  I called it my "waking up Jo Jo(my sleeve) routine".  For some reason once I drink I can eat a whole egg after 30 minutes but if I dont I can only eat a couple bits.

Give it a try :)

jen.
 HW: 260 SW: 245 CW:120.5  Surgery Date: 6/1/11
2 wks: -14.5
2 Months: -25  
3 Months -11
4 Months -14.5
5 Months -11.5
6 Months -5.5
7 Months -12
8 Months -8.5
9 Months -3
10 Months -5
11 Months 4.5
12 Months -4.5
13 Months -3.5
14 Months +1.0
15 MOnths -2.5
cattywompos
on 7/11/11 6:14 am
That uncomfortable feeling in your chest is more than likely due to the opening to your tiny tummy being well...tiny and swollen.  Eggs are a tough one early out anyway...in fact 9months out and scrambled eggs and me....not so much.  The soup making you nauseous could be many things from it being too spicy or one the ingredients not sitting well or eating too much/too fast.  I don't think that the feeling in your chest is a full feeling, but the nausea could be a signal that you ate too much.  You are definitely not nuts, it takes time to learn our new tummies and what works one day may not work the next. 
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/11 6:17 am
It's OK, you don't have to pu****  Take a bit of cottage cheese, maybe just one or two teaspoons full and eat pencil eraser size bites shewing very carefully.  Take it easy, it will get easier and easier with time, there is no hurry at all.  In the beginning, I could only eat one ounce or so over 20 min. Now I can eat everything and in normal portion sizes.  I can now eat about 6-8 oz of food without a problem, but it takes time to get there and now is your best weight loss time, so just let it happen naturally.
wert
on 7/11/11 6:37 am - MN
Yep. Me, too. I think it's OK to hold back on moving to the next stage. If you're getting your fluids and protein and are comfortable with mushies, stay with if for a while yet. I could be eating more dense proteins than I am but don't want to. I eat more of a soft diet than anything. I do at least 1 protein drink a day. I like it. I feel good. 

Not nuts. Not sick. Maybe full. Don't pu**** When you're done, you're done. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

roundater
on 7/11/11 7:30 am - Lincoln, NE
I usually go with protein shake and fluids in the morning. Makes the day go a whole lot better. Have found I get nauseous if I eat too quick after the protein shake. No you are not nuts- probably your body adapting to your new tummy. Slow and easy will carry the day.
Rich Sonderegger

Jenijeni
on 7/11/11 7:32 am
Also... Don't be afraid to move forward and backward through the "stages". You may feel fine today and eat 3 ounces of cottage cheese, but tomorrow, you may not tolerate it and feel like you just want to do a protein shake. Yes, the goal is to eat solid food, but your body needs time to heal and your stomach needs to get unswollen (yeah, not a word, but it works). I went back to protein drinks when I was a couple weeks out and was supposed to be doing mushies. Mushies in the early days were like two small spoons of hummus or 1/8 cup of the broth of the soup. Chili blended with plain greek yogurt went down well for me. Took me half an hour to eat just a few bites, though. I still don't do well with eggs. You may want to wait to add eggs until later. Basically, you're doing the right thing. You are listening to what your body is telling you and trying to interpret those things. Good job!! Hang in there... it gets easier!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

No More Spanx
on 7/11/11 7:38 am - Rock Island, IL
Thank you everyone, it is a relief to know this is normal.  I too must drink water in the AM before I can even think about protein or vits or anything.  I really enjoy the shakes (I know its weird but I am so busy that I only need them so that I can keep going...I am not hungry at all ) and especially the Nectar Brand flavors.  I will stop stressing and start experimenting when I feel comfortable.

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/11 10:13 am
 Eggs are not easy, over medium was and still is the only way I'm 100% sure to keep 'em down.  No scrambled.

Was this for breakfast?  Had you drank recently?  Any reflux?

I had a similar problem in the AM, as soon as I woke up.  I had too much stomach acid and I would basically have to get it out the unpleasant way before my Pepcid and body started cooperating.  I'd feel what you describe even after just drinking water/vitamins in the morning first thing.  I finally got smart and waited til I got sick.

I feel like that also if I've drank anything recently, even today.  The only other times I've felt that way was when I didn't chew something very dense well enough, or if I ate something off the menu (specifically fried or fatty foods).  In fact, Taco Bueno chicken tortilla soup victimized me so badly I won't eat there ever again lol.

Try to add new things in one thing at a time, several times a day to see if it's a food issue.  If you have reflux/acid it'll just take time to sort that stuff out (I had that happen from weeks 3-9 every day).  

So no, you're not sick, nuts, or full.  Still adjusting.  It'll get better, just take it slow and easy :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views