sleep apnea

Marie M.
on 6/14/11 7:22 am - PA
Hi everyone!

I'm in the beginning stages of going thru the VSG process.  I have moderately severe sleep apnea.  Anyone out there have this at the time of surgery? any complications with anesthesia?  This is the only thing that worries me about the surgery
Elaine2
on 6/14/11 7:44 am, edited 6/14/11 7:44 am - Atlanta, GA
I have very severe sleep apnea and experienced no problem during surgery. They did have me bring my machine to the hospital and put the mask on as soon as I woke up. I think you'll find allot of folks have any type of WLS also have apnea....in my opinion.

roundater
on 6/14/11 8:07 am - Lincoln, NE
I have severe sleep apnea and had my vsg on 6/10/11. No problems at all with the surgery and the anesthesia. They kept me off my CPAP while I was in the hospital (2 days). Check with your surgeon and sleep doc as to continued usage. Hope this helps.
Marie M.
on 6/15/11 1:16 am - PA
Thanks for the advice!
roundater
on 6/15/11 1:29 am - Lincoln, NE
You're welcome. Good luck with the surgery. Keep me posted on how you are doing!
MISTERMOM
on 6/14/11 8:22 am - MD
I had VSG surgery on 3/1/11. I had/have severe sleep apnea. I had no problems but I did have to use my bi-pap in the hospital post-op. I have another sleep study on 6/25. Good Luck!!!!!

=    
Marie M.
on 6/14/11 12:56 pm - PA
Thanks!  Im on bi-pap also.  Good luck with your sleep study!
Marie M.
on 6/14/11 8:54 am - PA
Thanks everyone that replied.  You've eased my worries!
johnbertak
on 6/14/11 12:18 pm - MD
I had mild sleep apnea pre-op - took cpap to hospital and didn't use it there; came home and have never used it since.  Amazing!  I also was diabetes free immediately post-op after 3 years on insulin and other meds.  This VSG is a miracle surgery for me and many others.  Good luck!
Pop-Pop

Marie M.
on 6/14/11 12:56 pm - PA
That is incredible!  Soo happy for you!  I hope to be apnea free also
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views