How do I prevent kidney problems?

bubbles_too
on 6/9/11 5:19 am
Since I am on a high protein, low carb diet how do I prevent kidney problems?  I drink an average of 60 ounces of water daily.  I am loving the weight loss, but the pain from my kidneys is awful.  Please advice.
Thanks
Karen

lucy2e
on 6/9/11 5:30 am - Laurel, MD
I would suggest upping the water as much as you can, and maybe a little cranberry juice each day.  (Not too much, but it is good for the kidneys - get the sugar free stuff!)

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

MediumSoon
on 6/9/11 5:34 am - TX
You should ask your doctor. Kidney problems are serious. Sounds like you may have pre-existing kidney trouble?

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 5:44 am
I have not had any kidney pain.  I have not read even opnce on here about that being something to be expected.  You need to get to the doctor and have some labs done.  Like... NOW.

Best wishes!  Hope it is nothing that a little extra water won't cure.
Danielle K.
on 6/9/11 9:45 am - Evart, MI
 Cranberry's are very good for the kidney's but I'd stay away from juice.  There are actually cranberry gel tabs one pill is equivalent to *about* a gallon of juice.  I was told during nursing school when we had to do a urine smear and found I have lots of urine crystals in my urine.  My instructor told me that I'm gonna get kidney stones and probably lots of them.  So I started then taking cranberry pills daily.  It's been 11 years and no kidney stones yet.  I asked the urologist at work and he said yes they work well.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

Disappearing Me
on 6/9/11 10:02 am - Murphysboro, IL
I've been wondering about something similar.  I was recently diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (chronic inflammation of the bladder.)  It's like a UTI but without any bacteria to treat.  I was wondering if somehow the high protein might have had a hand in it.  But, I also had a Novasure procedure a year ago and was told that IC was common after Novasure.  I'd never heard that before and can't find much info to back it up.
doggz109
on 6/9/11 10:54 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
A high protein/low carb diet will NOT cause kidney issues in a normal healthy person.  They can potentially cause them if you already have kidney issues (stones, previous infection, etc).

Drink more liquids is really the best thing you can do for yourself.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views