I ask my food coach about getting into solid foods too fast, she said.....

VSGbyACEVES
on 6/4/11 9:43 am - UT

Hello Katherine:

It is important that you do not rush into solids.  Just because you read on a forum that someone is doing something, don't expect that your body will respond in the same manner.

YES we have given you a practical timeline with the first 10 days with clear liquids, the second 10 days with thin liquids and the third 10 days with soft foods, and that is a general timeline.

Every BODY is different. If you need more time in a previous food stage that is OK....

Do not force yourself into solids!

As time goes by you will be able to add more variety to your diet.

Remember, you still have internal swelling -- you cannot rush your body -- you must learn to get into relationship with your body.  Honor it.

If you get chest pains, or something gets stuck . . . back up and retreat a previous stage where you were completely comfortable. Give the internal swelling a chance to resolve itself.  Move back to the clear liquids or the think liquids and progress by paying attention to what your body is communicating to you.   Never force yourself to a next step--just allow for the progress at your own rate.

NEXT ANSWER: 
Eating solids wont expand your stomach....................when your swelling goes down you will be able to have more food.  

Let me give you an example: VSG is similar to plastic surgery.......when you have a nose job there is swelling in your nose and face....3 months later your nose looks great, the internal swelling has disappeared and you feel "normal" once again.   Likewise, you will have this experience with this surgery so be good to your body, pay attention to your calories, water intake and protein intake. 
THAT is where you should put your attention.

NEXT ANSWER: 
No a 2 golf balls size meals is a little too much food for your sleeve.  
I would advise just 1 golf ball size of a meal. It also depends on the density of the food.  
1 golf ball size of meat is TOO MUCh while 2 golf balls of a soft food should be ok.  

AVOID all foods with fat or foods with too much sugar.........this will also be a problem!

Make soups that dont have meat in them.  

Liquids and solids at the same time wont work for a SLEEVE.

The small capacity of the stomach will not permit liquids and solids at the same time.

This was a response to several questions that I had from our e-mail food coach. 
The advise was so good that I thought others may find it valuable as well.

StrawWalker
on 6/4/11 10:11 am
Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

Take care.
Straw Walker
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views