Pre-Op Hell

jennifersmithee
on 5/21/11 12:52 am - Farmers Branch, TX
Hello!
I am new, my mother told me about this site today and I decided to check it out. I am on day 3 of the pre-op liquid diet (Optifast) and I am in hell. I am starving, my hands are shaking and my stomach is killing me. I am seriously considering calling the whole thing off. If I can't make it through 2 weeks of the Optifast  how am I going to survive post op??
I wanted to see if there is anyone else who had such a difficult time with the pre-op, everyone I talk to tells me it was a breeze. Maybe I am just meant to be fat.
Kristy R.
on 5/21/11 1:00 am - Santa Clara, CA
I don't know anyone who thinks the pre-op diet was a breeze, I sure didn't.  

You need to suck it up a little though - nothing worth having is easy!  It DOES get better, the first few days are the worst, and you are already on day 3.  You will survive post op because you will have a smaller tummy.  You CAN do it, just dig deep - how bad do you want it?  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Backinstride
on 5/21/11 1:09 am, edited 5/21/11 1:24 am
You have to stay positive and look at the big picture. It get easier as time goes on. If you are shaking you should give you nut a call I was shaking after a week because I was taking meds that were making me sick and shakiness. What she did is allow me to add 1 boiled egg a day to my liquids it made a big difference and I felt so much better. As far as after the surgery you may not want drip rink you will request to sip and that may take awhile. You can do it hang in there! You have to strong.

Heidi V.
on 5/21/11 1:15 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
I found the pre-op diet hell. I had terrible headaches for the first few days and was shaking all the time. All I wanted to do is eat the house out . But, don't worry, it gets easier. Now I am 19 days post-op and have lost 24 pounds.

Good Luck!!
Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

lucy2e
on 5/21/11 1:26 am - Laurel, MD
I am on day three also - you are not alone! 

My tips (the things that have helped me).  DRINK LOTS OF FLUID!!!!  I have been drinking at least 80 - 100 oz of flavored water (I add Mi0) and it helps my stomach to feel full - but it doesn't last, so refill with the liquid.

If allowed, enjoy a sf popsycle - this saved me from a bad spot last night!

Weigh yourself - this puts you head back in the game and pushes you to the goal!

Most important - keep a positive attitude!  You got this - you are a powerful women and can do anything!  Now go and kick some ass!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

wert
on 5/21/11 1:40 am - MN
My surgeon didn't make me do the 2 week diet - I had to lose a certain number of pounds before he'd schedule my surgery, tho.

Here's what MAY be happening. The shaking could be that you're going thru de-tox. You could just be going cold-turkey and getting rid of the toxins in your body. My 2 main food groups were carbs and sugar. You're now off sugar, right? And white food, right? For many of us, those foods are toxic.

Before I seriously decided on WLS there was no way I could have given up sugar. The thought almost made me sick. If I tried, I'd get crabby and headach-ey. A quick fix of sugared cereal and I'd be good as new. I needed my sugar. This could be what's happening to you. If it is, you'll feel wonderful when it's all over. About 2 weeks post surgery I started to feel better than I had for years. I didn't know why I felt so good, I just did. Slowly it dawned on me that it could be that I wasn't eating my 2 main food groups any more - sugar and white food.

Hang in there. Whatever is going on will get better. It's not pleasant while it's happening but it will all be worth it in the end.

Welcome.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

OffshoreMedic
on 5/21/11 2:11 am - AL
I haven't had to experience the liquid diet yet because I'm still in the consultation phase so I can't offer the advice the other folks can. I will say to keep strong and just remember how fabulous things will be once it's all over. You can do this so don't quit on yourself before you ever get started. Keep your chin up and it will be over soon.
LeslieKC
on 5/21/11 2:16 am - KS
I started the pre-op diet on Wednesday. Let me just say this is the hardest thing I have ever done but I am also proud to say that I have not cheated one time and I'm 7.5 lbs lighter than I was on Wednesday. One thing that helps me is to remind myself that by adhereing to this liquid diet I am creating an environment for a safer surgery by shrinking the liver.

I drink 3 Premier Chocolate protein shakes a day. Could have a 4th but I can barely handle the 3rd one. So my saving grace has been Crystal Light. I throw some in a blender with ice and make a slushie. I have that right after my protein shake. It helps to rid your mouth of the nasty after taste that lingers after the shake. Also, stock up on SF jello and SF popsicles. These help you to feel like you are getting something sweet. Especially the popsicles. I found tropical flavored Popsicle Brand ones at my local Wal-Mart and they are so yummy. I also have beef or chicken broth with my lunch and dinner and I am constantly sipping water. Good luck and hang in there! It will all be worth it in the end!
lucy2e
on 5/21/11 2:26 am - Laurel, MD
Congrats on the 7.5 lb loss - I started on the same day as you and have the exact same result (7.5 loss).  Did you ever believe you could drop that in so short a time?  It is just blowing my mind! 

I'm with you on not cheating too!  It's hard, but in the greater scheme of things, it's a very short amount of time - we got this!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

LeslieKC
on 5/21/11 2:45 am - KS
It's amazing! Even though this pre-op diet is difficult, seeing that scale drop lower everyday is a great motivator to stick with it! Congrats on your 7.5 lb loss as well! We are going to rock our sleeves! Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views