Sushi

cjpenn728
on 5/17/11 12:57 pm - LA
So..... I was on my facebook and a friend mentioned that she was going to eat su****onight... that made me wonder when I can eat sushi..... I am about a month and a half out from surgery. When did you start eating sushi? Also do you eat crackers? I made tuna the other day but its not any good with out crackers. not sure what to do. Thanks for the input ya'll! 

5'4~ HW 274~ SW 268~ GW 150 or less
jenniflorida
on 5/17/11 1:04 pm - Washington, DC
I haven't had it yet, but why not sashimi (without rice)?

emelar
on 5/17/11 1:05 pm - TX
If you're cleared for regular food, no reason you can't try sushi and see how it goes down.  Some folks have trouble with the rice.  Personally, I'm a fan of sashimi with lots of wasabi and ginger!

I don't eat crackers, but I use cheese chips in their place to eat with chicken or tuna salad.  Just make mounds of your favorite shredded cheese and microwave or put on a pan and melt until golden brown.  Nice, crispy and low carb.
Elaine2
on 5/17/11 1:07 pm - Atlanta, GA
I can't comment about sushi never been on my hit list...except rice has been off my list since surgery.
Crackers are a danger for me plus I have eliminated bread, crackers and pasta along with the rice. But I agree something crunchy with tuna is better.  Try a thin cucumber slice maybe (if it's on your plan...at this time)  or try some cheese crisps. Really good with tuna salad, salmon, egg salad, etc.   See the recipe here  http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crisp.html

skatie
on 5/17/11 1:12 pm - NJ
I love sushi but only ate the inside (fish, guac and cucumber)  I was told not to do rice.  As for crackers I try not to eat them also because of the carbs.  the cucumber slices are a great idea.

cjpenn728
on 5/17/11 1:21 pm - LA
Thanks ya'll!!! I might try those cheese crackers... I never thought of that!!! Not so sure of the sashimi but we will see... I'm almost clear for regular foods. I know I can't eat what I used to but maybe the crab or shrimp I can do.. I'll see. Thanks again! 

5'4~ HW 274~ SW 268~ GW 150 or less
goldisd
on 5/17/11 1:40 pm - Lindley, NY
I think I tried sushi at about 6 months.  I could only eat 1-2 pieces - the rice filled me up quick.  Now a year and 3 months since surgery I can eat 3-4 pieces (4 if they are small).  Go easy, your tiny tummy is still new.  It'll happen in time.

jluvsme
on 5/17/11 2:36 pm - HI
I've been eating sushi from about a month out.  But here in Hawaii we eat lots of sashimi and poke (chunks of seasoned raw fish that is yummy).  So I often get a poke salad and it takes me two to three meals to fini**** (so I keep it in the fridge).  Wasabi and soy sauce are a great way to dip it. 

The other night I went to an italian restaurant with my family.  Had a jumbo shrimp ****tail (only a little ****tail sauce) and a tomato salad with vinagriette (only made it through two slices but it was yummy). 

One of my friends with a RNY goes to the fish market and buys one king crab leg and takes it home to cook it. She pointed out that buying one is not that expensive and makes her feel decadent but is low fat and high in protein. 

I eat tuna now with those smart wraps that look just like tortillas.  They are whole wheat and about 80 calories with 20 g of protein.  Post surgery I can only eat about half of one with the tuna inside.

Canned salmon with a little mayo is delicious too!

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 7:47 pm
 I tried sushi for the first time at about 3 or 4 months out of surgey, and I mean the first time in my LIFE.  The place I was at had sushi appetizers, which were just cooked slices of whatever you wanted.

Liked it, tried sushi rolls a few weeks later, I did not have good luck with the seaweed/rice part, but the inside of the sushi rolls were good.  

Also, I found some good whole grain club crackers or will have a few reduced fat Ritz crackers with peanut butter or cajun krab salad when I don't feel like eating a full meal.
doggz109
on 5/17/11 8:39 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I absolutely love sushi - one of my favorite foods and here in San Francisco there is definitely no shortage of good sushi joints.

That being said...I have pretty much realized that after my surgery I will likely not be able to eat sushi "rolls" for a very long - if ever again.  They are incredibly filling with all that rice/seaweed/etc that even now eating more than 5-6 or 1 larger roll fills me up.

I am fine with that.  I will still be able to go out and have soup and ill pay for the couple nice pieces of sashimi.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views