*Totally Off Topic* ... Gift ideas needed please!

Stacy160
on 5/13/11 10:27 pm
My cousin's daughter just had her first baby, and says she doesn't need anything.  What she says she wants, and what's actually on the shower invite, are children's books. 

That's great, but I don't want to go cheap on the girl!  My mom and I together were planning on spending about a hundred bucks, hoping to get her one of the major articles (high chair, stroller, stuff like that) but she says she has everything.  Soooo....  I'm stumped.

I'm thinking maybe books, plus assorted stuff like diapers and wipes, things for when he's a little older, toys.... I dunno!  Maybe some cash?  Crap!  What would you do, does anyone have any suggestions??  

Thanks! 

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/11 10:34 pm, edited 5/13/11 10:34 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

This is my most favorite book to give NewBakes!!

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Little-Mole-Search-Whodunit/dp/1 556703481

Because who would not like a book whose Library of congress blurb is " Mystery, defecation.  :} 

What about a few savings bonds? And yea, like a laundry basket full of fun things along with books?  I love the Mrs. PiggleWiggle books too!  She teaches good lessons.

I also have a link that I can share with you to another forum I frequent where someone just asked about kiddo's favorite books, for her new step-daughter - so I am glad to share that information with you if you care for it! 

Book blurb

Product Description

When animal feces lands on his head, Little Mole questions each of his neighbors--a pigeon, a horse, a hare, a goat, a cow, and a pig--until he discovers that it was the hound dog who left him the pungent present.   :}

Are you close by? or not so much?  I also tend to give a booklet of "Parent Night Out" Tickets to folks who have all the "stuff" they need. 
Suane
on 5/13/11 10:43 pm - Livingston County, MI
The best 'baby' gift I ever received was a mani/pedi at the spa. Something just for me, I loved it.   And of all the gifts I received 30 years ago, it's the one I remember most.

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

jenniflorida
on 5/13/11 11:01 pm - Washington, DC
If she really wants books, then get a mixture of different ages. They grow out of them so fast! Start with touch/feel books, and then move into working books (like buttons, tie shoelaces, etc) and then into actual reading books. You could add coloring books, crayons, sidewalk chaulk. If you are stumped you could also do a gift card at Toys R Us or Buy Buy Baby. As a Mom of an almost 3 year old, I tell new moms to add to their wish lists rechargeable batteries and a charger. Sounds funny, but you won't believe how many batteries you go through. Almost every toy has batteries these days! Charger with AA and AAA was the best (savings) gift I gave to myself.

Stacy160
on 5/13/11 11:26 pm
Oooooh, great ideas everyone!  Thanks for you help!

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
tanieanie
on 5/13/11 11:45 pm - WI
100 dollor gift card to borders or another local book store.   This way if all she is asking for is books... you arent duplicating books others are giving her!

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 12:46 am
I'm with you on this...I would far prefer to get a gift card than something duplicate that I have to take back.
Jenijeni
on 5/14/11 12:23 am
My kids (all five) had a favorite book when they were little... It's called "The Piggy in the Puddle" and it's a recommended book on Reading Rainbow (the old Lavar Burton show). There's also a claymation short movie of the book.

So, I think you should go with a few good books and then do a gift card to a spa for mom. That way she can get manicured or massaged or whatever she likes! I agree that most moms don't get pampered once they have a baby (lol @ "pampered"). I'm sure she deserves it!

Good luck!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

skatie
on 5/14/11 12:24 am - NJ
I saw these new books out near the card section  in Walmart  they record the readers voice.  I wish I had one that was read by my mom for my sons.  They are from Mom, GrandMa, etc..  What a wonderful thing to always have their voice reading to you.

Crimson
on 5/14/11 1:33 am - MD
one of my staples for baby gift giving are books!!!

i make a little baby basket full of books. from dr. seuss books, golden books and even books for when they're older. I especially love shel silverstein's the giving tree, and his other books
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views