READ***For Pre-Ops & Newbies-Frisco Observations

frisco
on 5/13/11 1:05 am

Observations-

Lots of New and Newer VSG patients here this last year and seems to be increasing all the time. The same with new names of surgeons that are now doing VSG probably because more and more insurance companies are covering them.

- I've asked 3-4 people that have posted about having Gall Bladder issues Post-Op. All of them were never prescribed Ursodiol or Actigall. This is a drug that prevents Gall Stones in people going through rapid weight loss. It's a 6 month to 1 year regime (can't remember) that my surgeon prescribes to all VSG patients.(I believe)
If your pre-op...ask about it......If your a newbie and didn't get it....ask about it.

- Also ask your surgeon about Heparin. Sometimes reserved for high BMI patients and patients with cardiac issues. It's normally 5-10 days of self administered (needle) to prevent blood clots.

- I've read of several folks getting surgery and sent home with no instructions????? Very hard to believe.

- It happens every few weeks....... Someone will post they don't need anybody to give then ****but somehow at 5 days out a chicken wing flewl into there mouth when they weren't looking.....they chewed and swallowed. It went down so it must be OK! They are just waiting for others who have done similar less than smart things to chime in and validate there actions. Dumb Dumb Dumb Stupid........
This will actually be the last time you'll ever hear me talk about this..... I've become immune to this....If they don't care....why should I ????? And for those of you that post support of early chicken wing eaters...... Please be ready to turn your paycheck over to them and there family because the medical bills can exceed a million dollars for many months of medical care and lost wages.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

jimbovsg
on 5/13/11 1:17 am
i too am quite surprised at the lack of follow-up/aftercare from some surgeons......kinda like "sleeve em.....and leave em!"  People should NOT feel they need to come here and ask...."what am i allowed to eat?"  The first few weeks post-op.  If It were me....I would be a pain-in-the-ass to my Doc's staff....dialing emailing constantly....till I got some answers!  just sayin'!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

frisco
on 5/13/11 1:33 am

Your right Jimbo.....

When you buy a new TV...... does it come with instructions? Hell yes it does !!!!

You would not leave the store without the instruction manual for your new TV......

Why would you leave the hospital with your new sleeve without the instructions !!!!

Heck, I wouldn't get cut without knowing by memory the first month !!!!

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Sabrina R.
on 5/13/11 1:24 am - CA
Hi Frisco,

I too read about sooo many people not getting educated before they have their surgery. Mine is in 10 days and I am so thankful to Kaiser that they made it a requirement to go to the Options classes for 12 weeks.

May I ask your opinion on a golf ball sized gallstone?  The doctor that is doing my surgery says he's not necessarily taking it out, it depends on how it looks when he gets in there. I've heard he's one of the top surgeons, but I'm concerned that I'll just have to go back in again after I get my sleeve and have it removed.

Thanks!
Sabrina

frisco
on 5/13/11 1:27 am

Hi Sabrina,

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!!!

I have no idea about golfball gallstones.... I would just not want to have two surgeries.

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tausha P.
on 5/13/11 1:54 pm - Fergus Falls, MN
 Had my gall bladder out 1 month after VSG, and my surgeon did not even MENTION those meds... I am so annoyed! That 2nd surgery killed me for like 2 weeks. 
                    HW: 344 SW: 311 (33 lbs lost in pre-op diet) 
“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.? ~Lao Tzu    
Sabrina R.
on 5/13/11 1:30 am - CA
Ok, Thanks!  I'll just try and insist that they take it out. :) 

Crabadams72
on 5/13/11 1:37 am - Silver Spring, MD
As a pre-op, I am alarmed as well.

The Doctors/Nuts get paid to inform us..make them work for their money folks!.

Sabrina, I have 2 that are the size of big jawbreakers. I am getting mine removed w the sleeve operation.
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/11 1:46 am
Frisco, there are certain posts that I can't reply to anymore and I choose to let others take care of it now.  For one thing, I know that Dr. C's requirements are so different than many other doctors that I can't in all honestly tell the person to follow their doctors advice when I know that advice would have never gotten me to my goal.  So since I can't tell them to deviate from their doctors program, I choose to say nothing.  As far as the people who are eating things that even their doctors don't recommend at a few weeks out, well, I just can't go there either any more.  It is possible that they need advice from someone other than me, since I just don't relate.  I can't imagine taking a chance to end up in the hospital because I NEED solid food before my sleeve is ready.  I just will never get that.  I know I was over careful early out and even all the way to goal to minimize the possible complications and maximize the weight loss.  There are others that will view this whole journey differently than I do, that's OK, it's their choice, their health and their option.  The further out I get, the more I realize that everyone has their own path and I can't save the world but I can be responsive to those people that ask for my input.  I can honestly share what worked for me and why I think it would work for them.  That's all I can do.  That's about all you can do too.
frisco
on 5/13/11 2:06 am

Elina... your so right.... the mantra used to be..... "Follow your surgeons/nuts plan"

You can't even say that anymore as a general statement...... have you seem some of the programs out there now!!!!!

Also.....a 46 bougie and eat anything you want...... Is not a recipe for success....sorry.....gonna be hard !!!

Every time I think I'm done posting here on VSG Main.....someone will pm me or post something like...."ever since I read your post about not overeating....my weight loss has doubled and I've lost 100lbs"

I guess if it just sticks to a few people it's worth it.....

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 251 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op