No Salivia is that normal ?

NuevaMujer714
on 5/10/11 3:53 am - Irvine, CA
Hi all Im 2 weeks out from my surgery but Im not creating as much salivia (MOUTH)like I used to is this Normal?
XOXO Thanks for the Support            
Kokonut
on 5/10/11 4:13 am
I do NOT think that is normal. It sounds like dehydration darlin'! I would get myself to the ER and get hydrated. Please call your surgeon's office and tell them what you are experiencing.

I did have a very dry mouth from meds and lessened water/liquid intake in the beginning. However I didn't have problems with saliva production. I would get checked to make sure I wasn't dehydrated. Dehydration is no joke.

Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

lisa53406
on 5/10/11 4:14 am - Racine, WI
I am 2 weeks out too. I don't have this issue and I am taking in more than 68oz of fluid per day. I would be concerned with dehydration. Make sure you are drinking.

HW: 399   SW: 380    CW: 305   GW: 150  
NuevaMujer714
on 5/10/11 4:45 am - Irvine, CA
I called my drs office they said I need to drink more water I wa  drinking the 64oz , But they said I need more even 1 more cup so I shall drink 70 ozs If it doesnt get better I will go to the dr

Thanks All
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/11 4:52 am
I was just commenting to my partner last night that whenever I eat now I have no saliva for about the next 20 ro 30 minutes.  My mouth dries up and it feels coated with whatever I just ate.

I don't know if this is because I'm not drinking while eating or if this is just normal with the VSG.

NuevaMujer714
on 5/10/11 6:27 am - Irvine, CA
 Hi OSOGRANDE I had the same issue with the toungue it was whitish never had that problem but my dr gave me a rx for CLOTRIMAZOLE 10MG TROCHE I suck on this 3 x per day so far Its working really good

My dr said when you take alot of Antibiotics or are under stress u get that lovely white toungue
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/11 6:33 am
Well, since it usually goes away after about 30 minutes I'm reluctant to take anything for it.  I don't see it a problem as much as a quirky thing that happens.  Other than that my mouth seems fine for the rest of the day.
R3lle80zbaby
on 5/10/11 3:43 pm - GA
Im so happy this came up b/c my mouth is wet n it's so white n dry looking...
SassyItalian
on 5/10/11 4:53 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
This is quite common after weight loss surgery according to my surgeon and dentist.

Even increasing your fluid intake may still leave your mouth drier than normal.

A dry mouth (reduced saliva) can lead to dental problems so my dentist recommended using the line of Over the counter Biotene products which help keep your mouth lubricated, also brushing with prescription Prevident will help to reduce the chance of tooth decay.

Many people report dental problems after WLS due to less saliva in the mouth

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Herbie55
on 5/10/11 4:53 am - MI
I also have a constant case of dry mouth and I am 2 1/2 weeks post. I am always sipping sipping sipping but it doesn't seem to make any difference. In fact, it makes it worse. The only thing that helps me is the Altoids mini peppermints. Sugar free and 1/2 of a calorie.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views