Alcohol

Tami78
on 5/5/11 7:11 am
I know this has probably been discussed on here before but I cannot find it.  I am curious when you can try to have an alacoholic beverage after surgery.  I tried to ask my NUT and of course I got the standard doctors office answer (not good for you, empty calories).  I know all of that but every now and then I would like to go have a drink. 

Also, I used to be a beer drinker and now I won't be able to, any suggestions on some good drinks?

Thanks

Kelley_S
on 5/5/11 7:21 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/23/10 with
I drink whatever I want, including beer. I waited until about a minimum of 3-4 weeks out to even try a drink though. and your doctor is right, i knowingly accept that my weight loss is significantly slower than a lot of other people that had surgery around the same time as I did and I attribute it to drinking empty calories. Just be mindful of that.

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 7:38 am
I am not meaning to be rude, but why would you assume that what we tell you is better advice than what your doctor and nutritionist would tell you?  I loved to have a margarita when I hang out with my friends.  But, why would I do that?  

Drink suggestions?  Water is a good drink.
KrisJ77
on 5/5/11 7:44 am - TX
My Dr told me not to chew gum or drink out of a straw either - still do though...I think she wants perspective from someone who actually had the surgery...

Randy G.
on 5/5/11 7:48 am - TX
VSG on 04/26/11 with
My NUT said that everything in moderation is fine.  She did comment that she wouldn't be able to have the surgery cause she enjoyed beer to much.  Her answer to that was "Be a man, drink scotch".  I had to laugh.  She suggested scotch and water or cranberry juice and vodka.  Anything non-carbonated

kaapuni
on 5/5/11 8:13 am - San Francisco, CA
i waited about 3 weeks. i dring all the time. its no big deal.

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 9:43 am
 I probably waited six months, crown and coke was always my poison, now it's crown and coke zero.  Mostly crown, splash of soda to take the bite out.  I am, however, havnig portion control issues with alchol and am having to keep an eye on it.

A month ago I tried a beer and had no problems at all.  I do not drink them fast or too many.  I will say I had lost so much weight after those six months and my loss had slowed down so much I wasn't as worried about slowing weight loss.  Nurse/doc agree that in moderation is ok.
Tami78
on 5/5/11 10:45 am
 Thank you for all of your responses. I am not trying to go against my doctor, I was just trying to get the perspective of someone who has actually gone through what I am going through. 

Rated5Scars
on 5/5/11 10:55 am - London, Canada
Check this out, then ask yourself if you really need to drink..

http://www.wlscenter.com/UseOfAlcohol.htm

VSG Nov 30, 2010
cabcab
on 5/5/11 2:17 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
Some of us like to drink alcohol.  Some don't.  Some doctors understand that some of us like to drink alcohol.  Some don't.

Before my surgery, if I was told that I could never have alcohol again I'm really not sure if I would have had it done.  Part of my reason for wanting to be thin again is to enjoy going out dancing and to me that includes some drinks.

I was told not to have any for at least two months after my surgery.  Since then I've had some on a few different occasions with no problems.  I was told that usually alcohol works faster than before.  But for me I think it's the opposite, it takes more to give me any kind of a buzz.  And the buzz doesn't seem to last as long either.  Maybe that's good since I've not had a hangover since before my surgery!

I don't drink that often, so I don't really worry about the extra calories that I get one night here and there.
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views