Tummy Tucks???

ValB
on 5/5/11 2:02 am
o k -- who has had a tummy tuck?  How bad was it and how was the healing process?

band 4/18/08 slipped band 10/15/09.  further band complications --revision from band to sleeve 10/21/10.  Starting Weight - 230 Rev. surg wt - 203 Current - 147 Goal - 130

Mandi E.
on 5/5/11 2:10 am - Kissimmee, FL
I"m there with you! I have a long way to go before I get there, but I'm scared of the pain. I had a virtually painless VSG so I'm just worried about what the future surgeries will be.  
xoxo~Mandi
"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it!" ~Marilyn Monroe
 HW:422LBs Pre-op:394LBs SW:391.6LBs CW:303LBs GW:190LBs (5'10")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maryatt50
on 5/5/11 2:13 am
 I am interested in the responses you get - I am over a year out CW 166 - and am considering TT - BUT wondering about whole ordeal.  Thanks for asking this question.
Jennchap
on 5/5/11 2:23 am - CA
 I am looking into that now and have heard its much harder than the VSG. You may wanna ask on the plastics forum 
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

USAF Wife
on 5/5/11 2:39 am
Pain is so individualized. I had a c-section 13 years ago, and I was back at work in about 4-5 weeks as a vet tech, not a sitting around job. Upon discharge from the hospital, I went to Wal-Mart with 84 staples just being removed 3 days after delivery, and have steri-strips stuck over my extensive c-section incision. Others think a c-section is the worse pain the world, and honestly, it wasn't bad for me at all.

There are several on PS forum that could help you out. I think Char and Maureen have both had TT and/or LBLs so maybe they can help you out more. They both post on VSG maintenance group.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Sweetitalian1
on 5/5/11 2:40 am - CA
This one i can answer.  I had previously lost 70 lbs 7 yrs ago and had a tummy tuck.  For those in the bay area, See Dr. Robert Brink, plastic.   He does great work and i have the belly button to prove it.

I had VSG because I gained all the weight back except not in the lower tummy.  it's still flat.

So I just had my VSG 8 days ago and I am doing great now, walking 2 miles a day but the 2 days in the hospital for sx were hell.

My tummy tuck was a breeze and I would do it again in a heart beat. i took 2 weeks off of work but I was able to drive in 7 days. i also had liposuction done on my back side and that was the part that hurt the most.  I still have scar tissue from the liposuction on my back of hips and they are a bit sensitive.  I also had to wear a girdle like thing when working out (running) to give the area support.

other little things tummy tuck: you will be a little hunched over as they tighten your muscles, youwill not be able to sleep on stomach for a long while bc of tight muscles.

Hope this helps

Jennchap
on 5/5/11 11:54 am - CA
 Hi there~
Great Info…. I see we have the same surgeon, do you go to the support groups?
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

Sweetitalian1
on 5/5/11 12:09 pm - CA
I was going to start going to the one at El camino hospital.

I also really wanted to go to your event but just was not ready as sx was a few days prior.   What other groups are there?

taracarter42
on 5/5/11 2:46 am
 My best friend had GBS and then 1 year later had a tummy tuck and breast lift with implants.  She said it is the worst pain she has ever had.  I watched her laying there TOTALLY drugged up and on lots of Flexeril (Muscle relaxers)  It took about 2 months for her to feel pretty good.  She said that you never realize how much you use your stomach till you can't.  

She had to have help in rolling over and sitting up in bed or walking to the bathroom.  After about 2 weeks she was able to get to the bathroom on her own.  The first week was the worst.  She laid in bed with TONS of big soft cushy pillows around her supporting her body on her sides and arms and legs.  Her husband changed her drains and charted her fluids.  He did all the work.  She just slept.  

The biggest thing you need is someone you trust to help you in the bathroom, someone who will bring you food and drinks and someone who will clean your house and take care of your kids.
After she was up and moving things like car rides were very difficult for her because she couldn't support her weight around corners.  She had a major muscle spasm one night from fluid collecting, we got a call at 2am to come watch the girls so they could rush to the ER.  

Even through all this, she said it was worth everything.  The pain was temporary but the feeling of feeling good in your skin will last.  She wears bikinis now and looks great.  She said just make sure to not under estimate the pain.  It is bad, but it was absolutely worth it.

After seeing her go through all this and helping the most that I could and seeing how she feels now....I would still do it.  No pain, no gain!
thisbe777
on 5/5/11 2:51 am
i had my tummy tuck on 3/22...  i won't lie - it is major surgery, there is pain and it takes a while to fully recover...  i'm not yet cleared by the doc to go back to exercising, and i still have some muscle pain lat in the evening, especially if i've overdone things...  i also developed a seroma (build-up of fluid in the abdominal cavity) and i've had to go in to have it drained once or twice a week..  but it is getting better..

i was farther from my goal than i would have liked, but i had to have my gall bladder out, and my doc did them both at the same time and got insurance to cover it (don't know what magic words he used, but they worked!) 

but my tummy looks awesome!!

Photobucket

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views