Last time I was under anesthia, when I awoke I couln't breathe

bubbles_too
on 4/14/11 11:28 am, edited 4/14/11 11:30 am
I had a bladder sling fixed and waking up was one of the scariest moments in my life.  I heard the nurse next to me yelling for a trache kit and was put back under.  When I awoke the next time I was breathing.  My jaw and neck was bruised and my mouth had cuts.  When I asked what happened I was told I must have spasmed.  To say the least, I am afraid to go back under.  Anyone else have an experience like this?  What do I do to prepare for my surgery in two weeks.
Karen

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 11:34 am
You talk to your  Dr about it and the anasthesiologist so they can determine a different medication for you .  You should know why that happened so you can tell the Dr about it prior to your surgery. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 11:36 am - NJ
REALIZE Band on 08/07/09 with
Hi!! I'm a nurse! I think you should probably speak with the anesthesiologist before your surgery if at all possible! that's the best way to make sure things go smoothly. If not, they will come and see you the day of your surgery to evaluate you, let them know then.  I wish you the best with your surgery and hope things go well :)
healthykid69
on 4/14/11 11:54 am - CA
I would definitely talk to the anesthesiologist prior to your surgery. I've had several procedures where the doctor had to put me out to put something down my throat. I've woken up in the middle of the procedure twice and it was painful and very scary. The last time I had a tube stuck down my throat I talked with my anesthesiologist about what had happened before and she told me she would make sure it didn't happen this time. It didn't!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views