Leaving for Mexico tonight to have my VSG tomorrow, questions about food and protien

Chino67
on 4/14/11 2:46 am - Canada
Hi guys, I am off tonight to finally have my VSG done. I am wondering about after the surgery until I get back home. I do not get back home until Tuesday and will be in a recovery house until Sunday but then on my own with my hubby for 2 days. Can anyone tell me what I should bring with me to 'eat', drink, after I leave the recovery house till I get home?
Also when should the vitamins start and the protien?

Thanks
h.

First 30 days 31lbs
sueannspencer
on 4/14/11 3:27 am - Carrollton, TX
I bet you're gonna LOVE your sleeve! I went to Mexico for surgery, too. Good things to bring along are ready to drink protein shakes (don't have to worry about "safe" liquids to add to powder**** pops that you can freeze, single servings of soups and broth, juice boxes, 0 Calorie vitamin water or Sobe drinks, Gas-X strips. I was in Tijauna, and there was a Costco where I could get huge supplies. There were also CVS and Walgreen's and I think Walmart (can't swear to that) so you might want to check on that before you depart, and choose not to haul all your supplies with you. Immediately following surgery, you're not likely to feel true hunger, so you'll want to focus on protein intake to promote healing and liquid to stay hydrated.
Congratulations on taking this step to change your life. Best wishes!

Chino67
on 4/14/11 3:34 am - Canada
Thanks for the tips. I am going to the same doc as you went to! How would you suggest the best way to get the protein in after surgery? And how soon do I start taking in protein?

Thanks Again

First 30 days 31lbs
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 3:39 am - Edmonton, Canada
Hello H,

Good Luck tomorrow and please do not worry.  THe ladies that booked your surgery have all of your answers, I would recommend that you ask them and follow there direction as they have had great success.  You are on great hands in Mexico and Edmonton.  Give D or S a call so they can guide you !!!
Julie6
on 4/14/11 3:52 am
I also went to Mex.  My Dr. said don't worry about protein right away.  You don't want to dehydrate so drink liquids.  Water, crystal light, tea, broth.  It will be hard to drink right away.  It took me 2 hours to drink 16 oz.  Taking a small sip every couple of minutes. 
Julie Sadek    
Chino67
on 4/14/11 4:45 am - Canada
thanks so much for the answers. I was a bit nervous about it, but feel better now!

First 30 days 31lbs
hollyoosa
on 4/14/11 6:12 am
VSG on 04/07/11 with
I did Mexico a week ago and all I can say is you won't need much. Took a protien shot which lasted me for two days, crystal light packets and picked up a can of chicken broth while I was there. Sip sip sip
 How does one become a butterfly??
“You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.?
-Hope for Flowers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views