i can't tolerate hamburger. can you?

happyjumpy
on 4/10/11 9:44 am - santa barbara, CA
i am one year post VSG. i have eating a hamburger twice and salsbury steak once. each time i have had severe stomach pain and thew up or nearly threw up. ground beef patties appears to be my only food intolerance. i can eat  ground beef if it is cooked loose in a sauce, but cannot tolerate a patty of ground beef, even if i chew well. i am not sure why, too dry-?

anyone else have problems with ground beef patties? what foods can you not tolerate?
VSG 5/17/10 HW 298 GW 145 CW 143
Kathie 

‎"Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin  
btrfly9
on 4/10/11 9:59 am
Hi Kathie, I am 16 months out and still cannot tolerate ground beef  patties either. I can enjoy steak but ground beef makes me ill - i have tried from the 80% to the 93% lean and all made me il - I also can eat a small amount of it if i stir it into a salsa when i cook it but not as an actual pattie -
glad you posted this - thought i was just weird!

Starting Weight: 300
Day of Surgery 12/15/2009: 294

njmom5870
on 4/10/11 10:02 am
I have had no problem with any food, let alone ground beef.  The only food I have to be careful with is grilled chicken.  I have to be very mindful of my chewing.

Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

KrisJ77
on 4/11/11 2:58 am - TX
Me too!! The only times I have ever thrown up have been with chicken.  I hate it too because I cook it alot for my family.

Valerie K.
on 4/10/11 10:06 am - Dearborn, MI
I am all most 9months out and I use to love grilled hamburgers out side. But I had surgery and can not stand to eat hamburger any more.

I ate a burger to day only half of one and on my drive home I had to stop 3 times to use the restroom f of a fast food place. I told  my husband no more burger for me. When I see my doctor I am going to ask him why I can not seem to eat hamburger any more.

I also have problems with drinking milk.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Carmelita
on 4/10/11 10:23 am - Four Corners, NM
it took me about a year to tolerate hamburger type meats. My dietary manual said many people have a problem with hamburger for sometime after VSG.  With red meats..I could do prime rib, steaks, carne asada EZ at 3 months out...but not hamburger! same thing...puke, pain. At 5.5 month out had a 1/2 can of chili (ground beef) no beans...dumped on it. Thought I was gonna die! 

But now...nope not a problem, but because of all my past "negative conditioning" with it...don't choose it very often! lol  No foods are a "problem" unless I make em a problem ;-)
happyjumpy
on 4/10/11 10:43 am - santa barbara, CA
did your manuel say why ground beef can be hard to tolerate?  i can't get my mind around why it is so different from other meat.
Kathie 

Carmelita
on 4/10/11 12:32 pm - Four Corners, NM
HOLY CRAP!!  I just went through my guide after dustin all the cobwebs off it ;-) ...and realized Im not doing hardly any of the stuff it says Im supposed to!!  lmao!! 

And my bad...after looking for the "hamburger helper" ...couldn't find it...I do remember my NUT telling me that.  BUT  my manual does say red meat with coarse edges may never be tolerated. hamburger meat has kinda coarse edges? no?  I dunno lol
happyjumpy
on 4/10/11 12:33 pm - santa barbara, CA
wow! thank you SO MUCH for looking. i think hamburger IS red meat with course edges, i think! thanks
Kathie 

Carmelita
on 4/10/11 1:40 pm - Four Corners, NM
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op