my 'what worked for me'

happyjumpy
on 3/29/11 12:20 pm, edited 3/29/11 12:37 pm - santa barbara, CA
in response to the request to post what has worked for me..
i am 11.5 months out and down 127 lbs. i am 25 lbs from goal.

honestly what worked for me was i had surgery! i used to be SO hungry! now i have normal hunger and satiety. i am 95% less neurotic about food, since i don't feel like i am starving, then eat too much, and then feel guilty, then start cycle again anymore.

i am still 5% neurotic (more when visiting family). i still have moments where the old thinking pattern proves it is not fully dead, but that has not kept me from success.

i do not follow any rule 100%, except taking my vitamins. i generally follow the guidelines. i do not stress about varying my behavior time to time as long as i am in moderation. i listen to my body, eat when i am hungry, which is usually 4 times a day, and make mindful choices to eat lower fat quality foods high in protein. i do not bring my trigger foods into my house. these are pie and ice cream. i will eat them at a social gathering free of guilt or torment, but  i am not whole enough to have them inside my house and not obsess and eat neurotically. i AM whole enough to not have the urge to seek them out or  buy them (thanks be to God!)

i walk regularly, but i LIKE doing that, and am glad to be able to, so it does not feel like work. after weighing nearly 300 lbs i am just glad i CAN walk now! i revel in my ability. i try to stay active and walk 5 or 6 days a week.

i eat out with friends usually once or twice a week and don't follow the rules very strictly on those occasions. i don't feel as well physically when i do this, but for me the trade off is worth it. 

i eat at 'by the pound' hot food bars or salad bars frequently. i do follow the guidelines and the cost averages 2 dollars 5o cents for a meal. i also get one taco at a taco bar and eat  the fresh salsa the veggies . this costs between 1 and 3 bucks for a meal. southern california has a plethora of great  authentic taco places with serve yourself salsa bar.  i spend a LOT less on food these days, and i guess as i think about it, i eat out a lot.

if i am going to eat more carbs than usual, i tend to try to do it later in the day. carbs to tend to increase my sense of hunger, and if over eaten can make me feel a bit crappy, but by the next day the effect has worn off.

i do not drink with eating, but that is not hard, because i can't. i'd get way too full. i have tried it. ouch!

i am always thirsty in the mornings. i use premier protein from breakfast, so i can also  drink my coffee and some water right away.  i like them. i know a lot of people don't but i do. i  often use them for meals while working if i am busy. they make my body feel great and super low calorie/high protein.

i do not feel like i get enough veggies, and not a whole lot of fruit either so i use double doses of juice plus brand fruit and veggie supplements. it was/is part of my surgeons plan, and if skip them i feel less healthy, so i always take them along with my prescribed vitamin regime, and my fish oil.

i weigh weekly. i don't want my head wrapped around the scale,  i want NOT to be obsessed with food, weight, body image.i just want to be 'normal'

i drink with straws if i want to, i drink diet soda (but tend to flatten it first), neither of these things have given me any noted trouble and i have been doing them since 6 or 8 weeks post op. i have not seen any research that diet soda stretches sleeves. we did not have the bypass. maybe i am wrong, and i respect those who abstain, but i am not convinced. i am more concerned that it is bad for my teeth and bones than that it will stretch my stomach.

my greatest challange has been my trips home to visit family. it is the environment that made me fat as a kid, it is home cooked meals and people constantly trying to force feed me, fat people who are obsessed with food and who  confuse feeding me with loving me. it is high pressure and high temptation. i have not yet figured out how to overcome this on my trips home, but i live cross country so it has not been an overwhelming problem. 

i feel like my post is a lot different than most the other success stories. i am just being honest. i don't want to encourage people to have bad behavior, i just want you to know you don't have to be perfect to succeed (don't kick yourself, and if you have moments of struggle, don't freak out).  i do generally follow the guidelines (90-95% of the time), but i do not feel like i am on a diet. i think that is because for once i don't have to starve to succeed. it is such freedom.

one more thing to add. in the past month i have been able to ad a few foods back that were initially hard to eat. veggie meats were too dry, but now are ok, and raw veggies used to hurt, but now i can eat a  whole small raw carrot for a snack no problem. don't let food intolerances discourage you too much. given time they may change. 8-)
VSG 5/17/10 HW 298 GW 145 CW 143
Kathie 

‎"Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin  
sleeve genie
on 3/29/11 12:26 pm - Alhambra, CA
Hey Happy,  great post.  I agree with you,  this is our new life and i also choose to be good most of the time,  but not all the time.   I too am happy with my progress and i will get to goal, even if it takes me a little longer than others, i'm fine with that.  I'm so happy that you are doing so well.  Keep up the good work   :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

happyjumpy
on 3/29/11 12:34 pm - santa barbara, CA
16 lbs to go! OMG! congrats!!!!
wow. 8-) you are going to beat me to goal girl. congrats congrats!
Kathie 

Could_It_Be
on 3/29/11 12:26 pm
 Thanks for sharing this, it HELPS!!

loolootoo
on 3/29/11 12:39 pm
you are awesome.

thank you so much for sharing your story.   it's real....and so encouraging.!

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/11 2:03 pm
congrats and thanks for sharing.
MsMaki
on 3/29/11 2:07 pm - Chino, CA
I really appresiate our honesty. I helps to know that one year post op you are still experiencing success. At 3 months out there are some time when I fell like I'll stop at these 35 pounds and not continue. My logical mind knows that is not the case but sometime illogical wins! LOL
happyjumpy
on 3/29/11 2:09 pm - santa barbara, CA
hi MsMaki.
i have been there! it took me a while to go from hoping this will work to really believing it. i remember that i am no longer obese and feel a sense of wonder. i realize i am less than 25 lbs from a normal BMI and am in awe. the change happens quick, but it takes time for us to see it will last and to wrap our minds around it.
Kathie 

frisco
on 3/29/11 6:16 pm

Hey Happy,

Great post!

You obviously have a handle on this !!!

You have done great!!!

Will be looking for your "At Goal" post !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

changeiscomingsoon
on 3/29/11 10:27 pm
Congratulations. I really admire your honesty about how you have succeeded. You seem to have met the challenges head on and in a realistic way. I totally understand that you just want to feel normal and not on diet of any type. I have felt the same way. I eat what I want but stick with the whole idea of protein, drinking, and vitamins as a general rule. I have never felt so what normal felt like until this surgery. I feel like a real person without lugging this obsession around. I am reminded tha if I want to have a taste of something I will not have thrown myself off a cliff just for a taste. EVERY thing else has always felt like that. It is such relief....just cannot put it into words.
My hat is off to you. Keep up walk!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 359 views