what would you do???

cloveparis
on 3/27/11 2:00 am - covington, GA
my sister and i are getting the vsg done together our origanal surgery date was march 31  it is  now being pushed back till the end of april due some test results of my sisters. i could still get my vsg done, but we started this together and i want to wait for her. so here's my dilema im going on vacation may 29 back to my home town for my niece's graduation we will being having parties and get togethers. i guess what im asking is with my origanal date i felt like i would have time to heal and get my new eating habbits down.  with our new date i will still be on soft foods. i know its not all about eating,but unfortunality it seems like in todays society everything revolves around food. my family is already planning on where to eat and  the party we are having for my niece. so should i wait until june when we get back from vacation so i can enjoy the celebration with everyone? i dont want to be the only one at dinner who cant really eat there are so many places i would love to go to since i havent been back home for 14 years. i know it should not be about eating i wi**** wasn't, but i want to enjoy our vacation. there are pros and cons to waiting if i get it done in april im sure i will have at least 30 lbs off i will look and feel better if i wait till i get back in june i will have to do it alone my sister won't wait for me which is alittle upsetting since im waiting for her now.  so  what would you do?? if i do it april what can i expect to be able to eat during the parties?

thanks for any help
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 2:19 am
You asked what I would do, and I am going to give you my honest answer.  I would stop putting your health into the last slot on your priority list.  I would grab this opportunity to get my life and my health back and tell your sister, catch me if you can.  I love you and will be there for you, but this is about MY health and my body and I need to start living my life sooner rather than later.  I would forget about the restaurants you want to visit and focus on the jeans you want to wear at goal, on losing your health issues, on being able to run anywhere and feel like a rock star.  I would focus on YOU!  This is not a team sport, this is all about your head issues, your eating, your health, your life.  I would get very excited about living for me for once and run to the operating table.  Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't know you and I am making a number of assumptions, but most of us heavy people are not great at living for ourselves.  I know I wasn't .  Take a look at my before and after picture and get very excited about making this happen.  And then work your butt off quite literally to get to goal!  The first six months should not be about what you can't have, it should be about the beautiful butterfly that is escaping from the cocoon of fat to fly into a fabulous new life.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  This can be the greatest adventure ever, it was for me.
svelteNgorgeous
on 3/27/11 4:00 am
Bravo! Very well stated.
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 4:35 am
Ditto
luvkisses4k
on 3/27/11 4:58 am - Fredericksburg, VA
VSG on 12/21/10 with
Gotta agree!!!

I had surgery right before Christmas and my birthday.  I missed out on going to the SEC championship game too because I wasn't able to travel.  But in the end those are only things.  Christmas and my birthday come every year and while I can't eat like I used to I will still be able to celebrate.  I'll tell you that with almost half the weight off that I need to lose, I am so much happier that I can do things that I wasn't able to do since it was hard to get around without getting tired all the time.

shantele7824
on 3/27/11 2:22 am - SAN PABLO, CA
Being honest I personally woudlnt wait but that is just me.  I would want to go and have fun but also to show off to my family about how well I am doing, but I must say I am not addicted to food (not saying you are) but food wouldnt be that important to me.  I would be going to enjoy what you are really going there for and that is to celebrate your niece.  Also if you know for a fact your sister wouldnt wait for you I wouldnt wait for her and if you go ahead and have your surgery on shedule you would be not on such restrictions. 
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

Jenijeni
on 3/27/11 2:24 am
My "gut" thought on this is that you should NOT wait. If your like me, you've spent your whole life making excuses about why you will start exercising next week, or why it's ok to have one more piece of pie. You have a date... By a month later, you'll be feeling well enough to enjoy yur family and friends. I had my surgery 6 weeks before our family's biggest food holiday, St. Patrick's Day. I was still able to cook corned beef and cabbage and enjoy a small piece of soft corned beef. I skipped the cookies, cakes, and ice cream. I skipped the green beer... And I didn't even miss it!! You will feel differently about food after your surgery. You'll make the choice that's right for you... Just don't choose to procrastinate because you want to enjoy food ONE MORE TIME. There will always be one more time.

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

CJCC55
on 3/27/11 2:36 am - Cleveland, TN
my opinion is to keep your original surgery date. This way your sister can be there for you to help you when you are needing it, and you can have time to recover enough and learn the ropes and be a huge help to her when she has her surgery next month. Don't delay. Go for it. Go for it. GO FOR IT!!!

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Pixie-Power
on 3/27/11 2:37 am - Los Angeles, CA
Only you can decide what's right for you - if you really think you're going to sabotage your vacation and eat foods you're not yet ready to eat, then wait.  But with a little planning, you can enjoy your vacation and stay on target. 

I had friends visiting while on mushies, and of course, since I live in L.A., everyone wanted to go to Disneyland.  We were going to spend two day at the park, but Disneyland does NOT have much available that complies with the mushie stage, so I made up my meals ahead of time and brought them with me.  Honestly, it was so much easier than I'd thought it would be.  I'd told my friends about the surgery and what I was eating - they were very supportive and in fact offered some great food suggestions I hadn't even considered.  I could also "help out" too, since I didn't have to stand in any lines to get food, I'd hold a table for everyone. 

I honestly never felt deprived, as I was eating and felt quite satiated.  I also focused my enjoyment on being reunited with good friends and enjoying the company and conversation, rather than focusing my attention on the food, or worrying about what they were eating that I could not.   

age: 53   5'1" tall   HW=231  SW=216  CW=139.8  GW=130         

cloveparis
on 3/27/11 2:41 am - covington, GA
deep down inside i know i shouldn't wait and i really don't want to i know it shouldn't be about the food im trying so hard to not make it about that.
thank you for your opinions.  i think i already had my mind made up i just wanted to know how everyone would think in the same situtation i want to live and feel better i know i will be able to more once i get this weight off i can't wait for that day to live pain free med free...
thanks
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views