How Did You Deal With Your Already Hanging Pannus Skin After Surgery?

Freewheeler
on 5/5/23 11:08 pm

Greetings,

So I am having my sleeve surgery soon and my pannus is already a large hanging mess which I need to move out of the way when going to the bathroom, so I imagine as the weight comes off - it will get horribly worse.

I apparently have to wait a year at a stable weight for OHIP to cover the pannilectomy as a I cannot afford to pay for any skin surgery, so I am curious how any men and women here dealt with having a bad pannus prior and after surgery?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also if anyone lives in the Toronto Canada area and did have it removed - who was your surgeon/were you happy with the results, etc.

Thank you very much.

FW

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/6/23 10:19 am, edited 5/6/23 3:20 am

I didn't have a large pannie before or after. But when I got to the goal I had some lose skin in that area. I used special powders to prevent rubbing - sores. Plus I used light compression garmets to put things where they belonged.

Light- I would buy 2-3 size bigger than my actual size, to hold things in, but not squeeze me in completely. Just enough to contain the lose skin. I.e. my bottom got to size S but I would buy size L-Xl of light compression garments (summer time). I needed to be able to move in them, wear them for 10-12 hrs at a time. I would buy some I could try on- i.e. Kohls- or other stores. Put them on, then bend, twist, sit down, to see if they would stay up, allow me to move comfortably. I would have them on for 10-15 min in a fitting room, then would remove them and look at my skin for lines they caused - if there was too much compression- the seams would dig in, and I knew I would cut that in small pieces and burn them just after 1 day wearing them. I would get a next size and try again. Some designs are too restrictive - doesn't allow for breathing or moving around. I didn't want to squash things - I wanted my skin supported..

One of my friends with a much bigger panus- used bike shorts - also 1-3 size bigger that she was wearing in normal clothes.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teenie
on 5/8/23 7:00 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Before I had mine removed I used spanx and to cut down on the rash and moisture I used Interdry by Coloplast. I only knew about the interdry because my company distributes it. Interdry

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics