2 months post op and severe anxiety, please help.

Leticia31
on 8/27/19 3:07 pm - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

I am 8 weeks post op today and have been battling with crippling anxiety for the past couple of weeks. I think it's due to some complications I've had since surgery. I had a couple of stuck episodes with vitamins that had me vomiting for a couple of days and have landed me in the emergency room twice now. After the third time they finally decided to do an Endoscopy and found that my opening had closed significantly. They performed the balloon dilation and said I will need to come in for another in about 4 weeks. I am constantly worried that something else is going to go wrong and I feel like I'm crawling in my skin. I contacted my PCP and she started me on Zoloft which I use to take years ago for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but it won't kick in for 4 to 6 weeks. I don't know what to do. I'm trying to walk every morning, breathing exercises and nothing seems to help. Is this maybe because of hormone dumping. I'm so lost right now, any help would be appreciated.

Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail because they try to copy others, not realizing that everyone has a different question paper.

catwoman7
on 8/27/19 3:43 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had a stricture (like you did) at four weeks out - and another at eight weeks out. Both fixed very quickly. No other issues since then. It happens to about 5% of RNY patients. You may never have another complication - many of us don't.

I'm glad you're back on the Zoloft - but sorry that it might take 4-6 weeks to kick in. I'm not sure what to tell you since I've never dealt with anxiety - but I'm glad you saw your PCP. And yes - I suppose it could be due to hormone dumping. I'm sorry you're going through this!!

Leticia31
on 8/28/19 9:37 am - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

Thank you so much. I'm glad to here you didn't have anymore problems after the second time. It gives me hope that it will happen for me that way too. Thanks again for the encouragement, it helps to hear from others that have gone through it also.

Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail because they try to copy others, not realizing that everyone has a different question paper.

jmk187
on 8/27/19 4:48 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I think the increased anxiety is normal after experiencing those stuck episodes with the pills. The fact you have a history of anxiety is probably making it worse. Its great your PCP started you on zoloft, I would try to get in with a therapist as well if you have not already. Also Not sure if you know or not, but Zoloft also comes in a Liquid form. I know because my friend used to take it years ago. I've struggled my whole adult life with anxiety and know how crippling it can be. Sometimes the best thing is just talking to someone..family..friends..Online or offline..texting or talking.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Leticia31
on 8/28/19 9:41 am - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

Thanks, it does help to talk to others and know that your not alone. I have contacted my therapist that I saw years ago to try to get in to see her. I think it would help me. I appreciate your advice and understanding, thank you again.

supershopper
on 8/28/19 4:12 am

I'm sorry you are going through this. I also struggle with anxiety and do take an herbal medication to help with this. I'm not a doctor so I cant recommend but it may be an option to help you cope until your other meds kick in- have you also looked into meditation also?

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Leticia31
on 8/28/19 9:46 am - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

I'd be willing to try anything at this point. Can you let me know what herbal medication you take and I'll look into it and consult my PCP to make sure it's ok to take. Has it really helped you? I'd welcome any info. I just tried meditation for the first time yesterday. It was kind of difficult but I'm gonna keep trying. Thank you for your help.

Amy R.
on 8/28/19 9:22 am

I deal with anxiety to the point of taking meds for it also. I know it to be life-altering and I'm glad you're getting help for it.

Just a note here. The meds certainly do take four to six weeks before you receive the full benefit. However, each dose you take is slowly building up to that optimum level. In other words, you won't feel this bad for the whole four to six week period. You're absorbing this stuff from the get go and you are getting incrementally better each day. Try and remember that every day you get through is one day closer to better.

We all know you can do it. You know you can do it. Sometimes the hardest part is just keeping a positive mindset and busying yourself with productive (or even non-productive) activities to pass the time.

Hang in. Post here every day or even multiple times each day if it helps. Power through. It will be worth it.

Leticia31
on 8/28/19 9:57 am - Gilroy, CA
RNY on 07/02/19

Thank you so much. I guess I didn't think of it that way but it makes sense and gives me comfort to know that each day I can be closer to better. It's nice to hear from others that have experienced the same symptoms and are in a better place now. Thanks again for your insight, it really helps.

Amy R.
on 8/28/19 5:19 pm

You are welcome.

We go through some hard times during this whole WLS experience. But we learn we can face hard things and we learn the ways to do so. Something as simple as re-framing the situation may make enough of a difference to get a person over a hump or through a challenge.

Having been there many times over as others guided me through and around all of this, I was taught by the best here on OH and I gladly pass along the wisdom (and hugs!) that were so freely given to me. =)

Most Active
Recent Topics