Cramps in abdomen

scorpio01
on 6/2/19 7:18 pm - Cincinnati, KY
RNY on 06/19/15

Hi All!

The past couple of weeks, I've been having cramps in my abdomen right under my ribs on my left side. The only way to describe them is like a charley horse you get in your calf. It takes my breath away and I have to completely stop what I'm doing until it passes. Seeing if anyone has ever had anything like this? I'm four years post op so I'm not fresh out of surgery.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/2/19 7:36 pm

It can be anything. I'll suggest you see a doctor. It can be just gas, or IBS, or issues with pancreas, or hernia, or ????? Many possibilities. Including something like food sensitivity, intolerances or allergies.

You may chose to go and see your surgeon if you still are seeing him, or good gastro doctor, or even PCP. Blood work may be needed followed by additional work.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The Salty Hag
on 6/3/19 5:38 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The times I've felt similar pains were when I:

1.) had my gallbladder go rogue. Pain was more to the right, but it would radiate.

2.) was developing an ulcer-but that pain was more of an intense, gnawing deep hunger pang. Hurt like hell too, though.

3.) Unbeknownst to me, at not quite two years out, I was developing an intestinal blockage even though I was having regular BM's. ( sorry if that's TMI ) The pain was very similar to what you described and also on the left side of my torso. It ended up being a partial blockage that was diagnosed with a CT scan. I was able to resolve it ( per surgeon's directions ) with the equivalent of a bowel prep. ( lots and lots of Miralax and extra fluids. It took about 5 days. )

I say call your surgeon and let them know what's going on. Hope you can find out what's going on.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

hollykim
on 6/3/19 3:18 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 3, 2019 at 2:18 AM Pacific Time, scorpio01 wrote:

Hi All!

The past couple of weeks, I've been having cramps in my abdomen right under my ribs on my left side. The only way to describe them is like a charley horse you get in your calf. It takes my breath away and I have to completely stop what I'm doing until it passes. Seeing if anyone has ever had anything like this? I'm four years post op so I'm not fresh out of surgery.

do you have trouble with constipation? Hard stool trying to pass through your colon can cause cramps till it passes. The cramps can be pretty painful until it passes.

scorpio01
on 6/3/19 4:20 pm - Cincinnati, KY
RNY on 06/19/15

I do not have any trouble with constipation, but I do notice that some times when I am having a bowel movement and am bearing down, I will get a sharp cramp like feeling. This is on the same side as the cramps I'm currently getting, just lower.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views