Considering revision vs eating modifications

gbc1102
on 9/10/18 12:03 pm - Durham, NC

Hello everyone:

I had a Roux-en-y April 14, 2003. Initial weight was 289 - dropped down to 145 (with hernia) and was doing well at my goal weight of 170 until my knees gave out on me and I couldn't walk anymore.

Currently, I'm exercising (water aerobics and swimming) 4 times a week. I really need some advise on how to get back to the basics with my eating because my eating habits are TERRIBLE!! I was wondering if I did a protein feast would it help me to restart my weight loss? Also, I've heard that revision surgery is risky and patients don't tend to lose a lot of weight.

If there is anyone here that can give me some guidance, I greatly appreciate it!! Especially on the protein feast and gearing my metabolism back up with what I already have.

Thank you SO much.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/10/18 2:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Ask yourself why you gained weight. Was it because of your eating habits? Or was it because your pouch somehow failed you?

If you can re-learn poor eating habits with one surgery, there's nothing to prevent you from doing the same with a second surgery.

A "protein feast" is a great idea to get yourself back on track. Here on OH, we call it AMAW, or "all meat all week." It seems to be really helpful for getting your mind back in a good place, and getting rid of the temptation to eat carbs!

The most important thing you can do is to weigh and log all of your food each day. Many folks here use MyFitnessPal, it's great for keeping track of everything. To lose weight, you'll probably want to shoot for 800 - 1000 calories, at least 60g protein (ideally more) and keep the carbs low.

Check out the daily menu thread. It's a great way to get ideas for good things to eat, and the other people who post can help keep you accountable.

You can do this!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

gbc1102
on 9/10/18 2:51 pm - Durham, NC

Thank you SO much Sparklekitty! BTW, I LOVE the Corgi. I have two myself (one Sable and one Tri-color).

I will definitely try the "AMAW" to get myself back on track. Honestly, I really don't eat enough. I'm retired and I don't eat like I should, but I've also noticed that my AIC is getting higher so I'm afraid I may get diabetes which is why I asked about the revision. It is said that the RNY only inhibits one from getting diabetes 15-20 years out because your body tends to slowly adapt to a normal functional state.

I do have a "MyFitnessPal" account and some others as well. I think I can easily get 60g of protein in the shakes so I'll do those for a couple of weeks and that will help remove any bad carbs.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards - Gayzelle

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/10/18 2:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yay! Corgi people are good people :)

Shakes are good, but I wouldn't recommend them for a "reset." The best thing to do is to get back on track with lifelong good eating habits, and nobody can live on shakes forever! (I know I sure can't, never did manage to like them. Ew.)

If doing a shake for breakfast helps you meet your protein goals, that's great! But it's even better if you can get your protein from food; that'll stick around in your pouch and keep you full longer.

A few ideas:

Breakfast: eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, turkey sausage

Lunch: lunchmeat rolls, homemade chili, tuna salad, salmon pouches

Dinner: lean dense protein (chicken, lean beef, pork, whatever you like!) grilled or baked with a few bites of non-starchy veggie (broccoli, green beans, etc.)

Snacks: cheese sticks, edamame, pepperoni bites,

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

gbc1102
on 9/12/18 8:33 pm - Durham, NC

Thank you so much for the tips.

When I initially had my surgery, individuals were doing what we called "protein feasts" to get back on track. It is a short run of protein shakes (1-2 weeks) to jump start getting back on track. During the protein feast, I will make plans to get back on track with better eating habits. The protein feast also helps eliminate the sugar cravings.

Kathy S.
on 9/12/18 11:26 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. I maintained 118-125 for over 10 years after losing 200 pounds. Due to a personal tragedy I gained and hit the 190 mark a year ago. After several starts it finally clicked and I am back to goal losing 70 pounds of regain. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!! Our tool works if we work the tool and get back to the basics.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

gbc1102
on 9/12/18 8:35 pm - Durham, NC

Thank you so much Kathy:

I do water aerobics at least 4 days a week which helps me maintain my weight. Once I get on a better eating regimen I'm confident I will lose weight. Just got to get my head in the game.

Thanks again.

Kathy S.
on 9/13/18 11:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

YOU GOT THIS

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathyjs
on 9/13/18 9:37 am

First red flag was the word FEAST, exercise is wonderful but your food intake is what makes you lose or gain. Fi had surgery around same time so I know what I am preaching. First , open the fridg and clean house, cupboards, freezer. You can't eat what isn't there. Then get a scale and weigh and measure your portions. Then log every single bite. I feel like I am preaching to the choir because you know all this. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I know because you did it before. Hugs

gbc1102
on 9/20/18 12:30 pm - Durham, NC

Hi Kathy:

You must have not read the word before FEAST - it's PROTEIN!! I'm not sure what the 2018 term is for it but in 2003, when we needed to get back to basics, we did a liquid protein feast for approximately 7 days to jumpstart a new eating plan. Hope that helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 294 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views