Veterans ??? I had RNY Gastric Bypass 10 years ago

maraboricua72
on 12/21/17 6:08 am

Hello. I had RNY gbs TEN years ago in Bogota, Colombia. I initially lost 100 lbs and was feeling great!!! Since then, I have regained 25 lbs and am desperate to get back to basics. I need support from other veterans. I know that it all starts with 10 lbs, then 25....before you know it, you're back to where you started and I must take control NOW before it gets worse. I am terrified!!!! I need support. Anyone out there? I'd love to meet with other gbs veterans locally but can't seem to find any in my area. I live in Ft. Lauderdale.

Are you a veteran? Drop a line......let's chat.

? I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4 years after surgery. I am on Lyrica, which has a side effect of weight gain. I can't exercise as exercise makes me hurt and fall into a flare up. Prior to fibro, I used to go to the gym twice daily - every day. I was also diagnosed with lipedema.

ncmdgirl
on 12/21/17 8:24 am

I am in the same boat as you, however I do not have an illness limiting anything. Honestly my gains have come from stress eating. I cannot say that my surgery doesn't work because after a normal portion of food, I feel FULL. I have committed to changing my habits again, starting with a new job and less stress.

In the past I have tried Nutrisystem to give me that recommit boost, however, I get stressed and fall off the wagon. We can always chat on here if you ever need someone to talk to about what you are feeling. Also, I plan to seek a therapist who has experience with people with food addiction.

Hope to hear from you again!

Hang in there!

Just a few more steps to wonderland......and believe me I am taking baby steps (ugh).

Grim_Traveller
on 12/21/17 9:23 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Step number one is come onto OH every single day. That's the best way to get daily support. Ask questions if you have them, and answer questions whenever you are able. This site has been one of the biggest keys in helping me lose my weight and maintain it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

maraboricua72
on 12/21/17 12:35 pm

Thanks! Today is my first day of this adventure with you guys. Thanks for being so welcoming. :) I wish this website had an app that I can easily check on my smartphone daily. :) Wait.....is there? I haven't looked around long enough to see if it does. :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/21/17 10:31 am

I am over 9 years post. Maintaining now.

At one point I regained 25-30 lbs and changed my diet and lost that.

It was not easy since I got used to eat more carbs, and drink alcohol once in a while.

But I cleaned my diet, removed most carbs, starches and alcohol and lost the regain.

Fibromyalgia can be associated with SIBO. Google "SIBO - fibromyalgia study"

As for exercise- I started exercise to GAIN weight, since I lost a little bit too much weight - lost some muscles. Heavy - strenuous exercise make me feel hungry and upset my blood sugar balance. I have to eat more.

When I was losing my regain- I got more active- but only tried to walk more. App 3 miles 3 times a week.

I started more strenuous exercise to help with my back and so far I "gained " app 6-8 lbs. Some of it is probably "holidays" gain, but I also started to put on some muscles.

To really lose weight - diet is 95%, 5% exercise ( for normal people - not athletes).

For me - to lose weight I ate proteins, fat and non starchy veggies. Once a week I allowed myself some fruits- berries only. I lost 18 lbs in 3 months. The rest - since I was not as motivated- took me a year to get off and maintain.

I did not eat grains, starchy veggies (potatoes, beans, carrots, etc) or milk products (except butter). I drank a lot of green tea, and I made sure I did not get constipated.

It was a very strict diet of what I ate, but I almost could eat as much as my pouch allowed.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

maraboricua72
on 12/21/17 11:47 am

Thanks. I just read about SIBO yesterday and it totally caught my attention. I made an appointment to have blood work done and in two weeks I'll speak to my doctor regarding SIBO. I already mentioned it to her, so she's aware that I'm concerned over it. Thanks for suggesting it. :)

I definitely need to clean my diet. I love hearing about success stories.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/21/17 1:08 pm

Some docs never heard about SIBO or how to deal with that.

Print some articles (studies about SIBO ) and take that to your doc. Some docs need to be educated.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cabin111
on 12/21/17 11:19 am

11 plus years out...I dropped down to 190, from about 300 (high). I regained to about 235 from things like simple carbs (Pepsi, candy, breads, chips). I had a second heart attack and that really woke me up. I have worked to get down to below 200 at this time. I got down to about 195 but have regained because I am less active over the past few months and still eat things like chips and some sugar. I'm at 199 today.

My thoughts are the basic ones that you would probably know. Cut way back on the simple carbs...Protein and water first. Also get in a lot of vegetables (color of the rainbow) and plain nuts (small amount) may help. Also a small amount of fruit (keeping you regular and keeping the blood sugar level steady) should help.

The last thought is concerning exercise. What can you do? I know you are very limited, but you need to find something (anything) that will work to help burn some of the calories. Can you clean, do windows, clean cars, walk, swim, basic aqua aerobics? The more you do...The more you lose. If you can't do anything, I understand...It is what it is. The last thought is elastic bands. You can get them anywhere...Look on line. You can get them at any sporting good store. There are Youtube videos that will show you how to use them. Be creative in any movements you can do without pain. Try and push though what pain you can handle to get some type of movement in. Consider a meeting with a physical therapist to see what others do for movement.

I'm sure there are support groups (online, Facebook) that could help you with basic movements. If not then you need to watch very closely your food intake. Good luck with your journey...Brian

maraboricua72
on 12/21/17 11:48 am

Thanks for all this, Brian! You rock! I will definitely look into it.

PS - I can walk and swim, is pretty much what my doctor said. The bands sound interesting, though.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 286 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views