Surgery Date Aug. 7th! Do you wish that you had gone with the Sleeve instead of RNY?

AngAng
on 7/13/17 1:36 pm

I soo excited and soo scared, all at the same time. I get so many mixed messages. I have been told that I will look malnourished and turn into a skeleton with no hair and suffer from health problems when I get older. sheesh.. that I should get the sleeve instead.

I have acid problems, my surgeon says.. nooo, you should not get the Sleeve, you will just have MORE issues with acid. RNY is the best option for you.

HELP!!!

How many people are happy they have chosen RNY? Do you wish that you had gotten the Sleeve instead?

AngAng

Revision Lap Band to RNY Approved 5/10/17 Surgery Date 6/6/2017

improvedme2017
on 7/13/17 1:53 pm
RNY on 04/05/17

No regrets for me. My surgeon and I discussed options pros and cons. For me I WAS diabetic and on two orals and a once a week insulin plus high blood pressure. R&Y had the higher % of remission chance and higher % of weight loss. I have heard acid reflux is a concern for the sleeve. Do A Lot of research and talk with your surgeon to make the best decision for you.

pammieanne
on 7/13/17 2:02 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

According to everything I have read and learned from reading here, you really shouldn't have the sleeve... acid can also result in cancer down the line. Your doctor is right.

Not so sure why people feel the need to paint such a bleak picture for people in regards to RNY. There are plenty of people right here on this board that are 10+ years out from surgery that still have their hair, and are not skeletons, nor do they have health problems - and certainly not as many as they would have had still being SMO.

I love my RNY. I also know people that love their VSG (sleeve). I'm sure both are very good options, and depending on your health, one may reign over the other... but with acid, you really are better with the RNY according to what I've seen.

The biggest factor to success will be whether or not you can change your eating habits and conform, long term, to the way of eating... that's what I'm still trying to learn.

Neither surgery will fix your brain and it's desire for **** foods.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Grim_Traveller
on 7/13/17 3:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I couldn't be happier. I would do this again once a year.

Don't even think about the sleeve if you already have acid issues. You would absolutely regret it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy R.
on 7/13/17 5:20 pm

Honestly? The only thing that bothers me about the RnY is that we can't have NSAIDS. If you have chronic pain you should at least consider the sleeve.

Good luck to you, whichever you choose.

stacyrg
on 7/13/17 5:21 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

If I had documented/diagnosed acid prior to surgery I would not even consider getting sleeved. I developed acid after VSG, with no incidences prior to my surgery. My post op acid was significant. I know there are others who will say that getting sleeved will stop the acid. I would not be willing to take that chance. If your acid does not improve or, in fact, gets worse, you'll be looking at a revision. A word of advice from someone who's been there . . . go with RNY

CathyV
on 7/13/17 5:48 pm

Tune in tomorrow to the menu thread, we are doing before and afters. You can see for yourself all of us bald and emaciated people. ?

Actually my hair is way too thin. But it was that way before surgery, lol.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

rudy7306
on 7/13/17 6:12 pm
RNY on 02/15/17

no regrets, down 121 since Feb 7th. I feel great, strong, and I am having so much fun with my wife and kids.

follow dr orders and take vitamins and eat properly. you will be fine.

NYMom222
on 7/13/17 1:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Having fears before surgery is natural, I know I had them.

Your surgeon is absolutely right about getting the sleeve and having acid. You should not do it. Listen to him.

If somebody gets on here and who had RNY and says I wish I had the sleeve, but they don't have acid then you're not comparing apples to apples. You are more likely to find people who had the sleeve, who have acid and then had to have a second surgery to revise to RNY.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

catwoman7
on 7/13/17 10:20 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I never lost any hair. But even those who do usually "shed" for a few months - some heavily, some lightly. Then it grows back. By a year out (if that), most people are done with the hair loss cycle. There *are* people who lose big, noticeable clumps of hair, but from what I can tell, they're in the minority. And I've never heard of anyone who's gone bald. And btw - hair loss that first year is common with either surgery - not just RNY.

skeleton: Nope. That would be rare. There are a lot more people who never reach their goal than there are who get too thin.

Health problems - also rare. You are infinitely more likely to have health problems if you stay obese.

if you have acid, then it's a no-brainer: go with the RNY. RNY often (but not always) cures acid reflux. VSG often (but not always) makes it worse. I also had acid reflux, which made my decision easy - RNY. I've never regretted it for a minute.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 351 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 312 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 104 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 6 views