RNY 9 Years Ago

JB1114
on 7/9/17 6:14 pm - Grain Valley, MO

Nine years ago today was my day for WLS. The first few days I questioned if it was the right thing to do, but I did come to be very happy with my decision. The first year I lost 70 pounds. Instead of forging ahead and losing another 20 lbs., I didn't work at it. I was so happy to shop in the misses department and being off all my meds except thyroid.

That first year I was so careful about what I ate, but eventually, I made bad choices here and there. I maintained my loss for several years but I did have some regain in the last 2 years. I'm working on getting off those extra pounds. We're moving next month so I went thru my closet and all but 2 or 3 garments still fit. Pants I bought in 2009 still fit and I'm proud of that.

I still don't do well in a restaurant. I've never been a fan of fast food so that's never a problem. I tend to order what sounds really good and after a few bites I'm full. Then, I will overeat and feel miserable. I still eat too fast.

Fortunately, sugar makes me sick, but at times I eat too many sweets and pay for it. I cook for my husband and adult son. Much of the time I don't take the time to make things I like and need to eat. I eat what they eat but less of it. I'm working on taking better care of myself in that regard.

I've never had any regrets after the first 4 days. If I could lose another 20 lbs., I would have the surgery again. I need to lose 10 lbs. to get back where I was 8 years ago and would like to take off another 20 lbs.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

pammieanne
on 7/10/17 6:24 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Good luck on your loss of the regain!

I am only 1 year out, and it's still so easy to maintain... I know, from stories like yours, that this won't be the case forever... I hope I can learn from all of these stories!

Thanks for sharing :)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/17 10:01 am
RNY on 04/18/17

Your story sounds like success, really. Think about it: Just 10-20 pounds to lose as opposed to 100 pounds to lose! Ten pounds is what "normal" people deal with after the holidays. I do wonder how people who have to cook for families manage their own diet. My husband cooks for himself because I simply won't cook the way he eats. I never have fried anything or covered anything in gravy. He is paying for it, gaining, gaining, gaining. Sometimes he will eat my way, but then always goes for treats afterward. I have to completely disconnect with the way he eats to keep myself focused.
The great thing is that you have the determination and the tool to help shave off those pounds. Good luck and I'm rooting for you here!

JB1114
on 7/10/17 6:16 pm - Grain Valley, MO

My husband can eat pretty much anything he wants. He loves sweets so I have him keep his treats out of the kitchen where I don't see them. He loves ice cream and I usually fix his dessert in the evening; however, I no longer care for ice cream so it's not a problem.

My kids are adults but it would be a problem cooking for kids.

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/17 10:02 am
RNY on 04/18/17

Oh, hey JB: I just noticed that we are neighbors! I live down at the lake around Osage Beach.

JB1114
on 7/10/17 6:00 pm - Grain Valley, MO

You are about 3 hours away.

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/17 9:12 am
RNY on 04/18/17

Well, I'm originally from Wyoming, so have a different perception of distance. Anyone in the same state is a neighbor. HA!

CathyV
on 7/10/17 11:10 am

I agree, having 10 or 20 pounds to lose after that much time has passed sounds really good! Not saying you are wrong to work to lose it, and that's to be admired too, getting on it now instead of waiting for it to turn into 30 or 40 pounds, good for you.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Kathy1212
on 7/10/17 11:39 am

It sounds like you're doing great! Maintaining within 10 Lbs of your original loss for almost 10 years is a wonderful success!

You lost 70 Lbs; you can so totally lose another 20 if that's what you want. Just do the high protein low carb low sugar thing and you'll get there. Hang out with us here for awhile and watch it come off.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kathy S.
on 7/10/17 2:42 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. I maintained 118-125 for over 10 years after losing 200 pounds. Due to a personal tragedy I gained and hit the 190 mark a year ago. After several starts it finally clicked and I am back to goal losing 60 pounds of regain. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!!

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics