Has anyone been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus 3+ years AFTER having the RNY

KatBee
on 2/4/17 12:53 pm

Hi Everyone!

I've been absent from here for a long while. I am almost 4 years post-op. I lost 95 lbs and it was wonderful. Last year I developed a bad case of vertigo that lasted 6 months. This kept me inactive and I gained back 20 lbs as a result. Annoying but not the end of the world, I know I can lose it.

I recently went for an upper endoscopy and was diagnosed with barrett's esophagus. I barely have acid reflux, so this took me by surprise.

Has anyone else had this experience?

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/17 1:24 pm, edited 2/4/17 5:48 am
RNY on 10/26/16

Barely?  What does your GI say?  Esophagitis can be silent.  I worked with GI consultants on this topic  this may help with info if you haven't seen it already  

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/silent-reflux-even 

There are are a couple of videos so look at both I think they link to above  

i havent seen an RNY link but others may comment on that  

Sounds like you may have caught it early before it progressed further.  Good luck with your treatment.  Make sure your GI is top notch.   Best wishes

Bev7594
on 2/4/17 2:50 pm
RNY on 06/12/17

I think the link is going to a page that has been removed. Or, maybe just me!

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/17 5:12 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

Weird. If interested search Dr. Oz silent reflux epidemic. There is a part 1 and 2.  I'm on my phone, so links get broken for some reason. 

NYMom222
on 2/4/17 8:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Pre-WLS I was told by my allergist/pulmonolgist that he thought I had silent GERD. I guess there is a strong correlation with Asthma. I wasn't willing to do the test he wanted me to do...I didn't really believe I had it.

Post RNY the GERD isn't so silent... I thought it was all from an hernia, had the hernia fixed almost a year ago... and while I was able to wean myself off the Prilosec/omeprezole.... I still have flare-ups.

so glad I didn't have the sleeve because of it...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NHPOD9
on 2/5/17 3:24 am

RNY doesn't solve GERD issues for everyone. I was diagnosed with Barrett's before surgery and was hopeful the acid would go away, but it didn't. It doesn't surprise me that one could get that diagnosis after surgery. (Although, I'm curious...did you have an endoscopy before surgery? If not, you could have already had it). 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/5/17 11:34 am

A year ago I started dealing with a lot of acid.  GERD.  Still do. 

The endoscopy showed small % of Barret esophagus... I am on very strong PPI and I still get acid flares. We don't know why.  I probably would need yearly endoscopies.. 

Since RNY I had to move on PPI most of the time. Everytime I tried to get off it would flare. But in the past omeprosole was all I needed. Now even dexilant is not strong enough. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

yoni
on 2/6/17 1:48 pm

Barrett's without symptoms is not uncommon. You should be thankful they found it. It is often missed and in a small percentage of cases, it can  lead to worse stuff. I urge you to find out more at http://www.wats3dforme.com/

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 298 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 253 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 150 views
Recent Topics