High protien diets and diarrhea.

nizateco
on 8/9/16 2:46 pm
RNY on 08/22/16

In the past I have had issues with doing high protein diets and diarrhea... Although my surgeon isn't requiring any pre op dieting, I am still trying to get some weight off before my surgery. I'm doing great, but the high protein diet is killing me.  Has anyone had issues with this as well and what was the best solution you found, especially post op when your limited to what otc meds can be taken.

Kakesie
on 8/9/16 7:16 pm
RNY on 02/19/16

Hi,

I have chronic diarrhea and I just take an over-the-counter diarrhea pill.  I often have diarrhea in the morning, take a pill and them I'm fine for the rest of the day.

Deanna798
on 8/10/16 5:39 am
RNY on 08/04/15

High protein diet actually makes me constipated, so the opposite.  Are you just eating more protein via food, or are you drinking protein shakes?  If it's shakes, it could be that something in them doesn't agree with you.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/10/16 7:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I agree -- high protein is usually constipating.

I used to have chronic diarrhea while obese -- 

Also, if you are drinking protein shakes -- liquid in = liquid out... and as Deanna stated, if you are drinking shakes, you may have a food allergy to something in them.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

myspanisheyes
on 8/13/16 7:28 pm - TX

After my surgery, I became lactose intolerant! Didn't realize it until many bouts of diarriah.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views