Constipation

Kala2032
on 3/25/16 11:52 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

After reading the forum boards for constipation everyone recommends Miralax. I am going to go grab some tomorrow at the store but its been 2 weeks since I have had any movements. I know i haven't been eating either (just liquids) cause of the dumb gallbladder issue,  but even on the liquid diet i was sorta regular. Thank God i dont have any pain from it. I JUST started eating again today!

I just had a Lap Chole (gallbladder removed) Monday and my family was telling me that its probably from the anesthesia is why i am still constipated this week. 

My question is: Is there any homemade laxatives that i can do tonight or morning to get things moving (so to speak)?

I do have food in me that needs to come out sometime. I did have a 4oz cup of black unsweetened coffee and nothing (from what my nutritionist said back a few months ago). Its the only time i can have anything caffeinated or coffee period and it cant be a regular thing. I also had some warmed baby prunes and nothing. 

Height 5' 10, HW: 538 lbs 05/2015, SW: 444 lbs 2/2016, CW:213lbs 8/2017

selhard
on 3/26/16 4:26 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

No BM for two weeks should bring you some degree of discomfort?  If it's been two weeks, fecal impaction may become a possibility.  The anesthesia, narcotic pain-killers, and being inactive would likely all be contributors to your problem.  Here are some suggestions to consider:  increase water intake, go for a walk close to home, take Miralax, administer an enema to help avoid intense straining due to your recent surgery, and the most important--phone or visit someone from your healthcare facility for guidance making sure you tell them how long it's been since your last BM.  They may recommend something stronger than Miralax or request you make an appointment.  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/26/16 5:18 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Your dr should have told you to get several anti-constipation remedies before surgery so you could take them as soon as you felt you needed rather than having to go out and buy them and having a delay. 

You shouldn't be in this position.  I say as caution to others. 

Get constipation remedies BEFORE surgery - they're only a few bucks.  Good investment.

Sharon

Sunqueen15
on 3/26/16 5:41 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I literally just had a conversation about this with my doc yesterday because it has been almost a week. He told me , if nothing happens by day 7 (but Im welcome to do it now), go get miralax. He said it works as both a softener and a laxative and that its highly reccommended for patients like us because its gentle and it works. I just kinda figured it was due to not eating as well but he said even when we're on just liquids, our bodies are producing lots of waste. 

Hope this helps :-)

Dorfie44
on 3/26/16 9:15 am

I was in the same position even though I was given a stool softener and told I could use Miralax every day. I am using opiods for another operation I just had so it is double trouble. Pharmacist recommended Ducolax and it worked!

Kathyjs
on 3/26/16 10:55 am

I used colace first few years

Kala2032
on 3/26/16 12:35 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

Thank you so much everyone for the replies so far. I got some Miralax this morning so its going in my routine. 

Luckily, and i say that with a happy face, I had some improvement overnight. I just had to give the 4oz of black coffee and prunes a chance. I am thrilled something finally happened. 

Height 5' 10, HW: 538 lbs 05/2015, SW: 444 lbs 2/2016, CW:213lbs 8/2017

Rosiesantana
on 3/28/16 3:56 pm
RNY on 12/21/15

Talk to your doctor about it, i was prescribed bisacodyl And it works for me! Talk to him about pills to use bathroom, because since you have a small pouch i dont think drinking liquids for bathroom would help, didnt help me, but idk about you lol, try pills! >bisacodyl

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics